New Acoustic

cduff19

I've been on the hunt for a new acoustic, trying to get rid of my Fireglo 360 to get it in fact! Anyway, I'm looking for something with nice a warm low end, but also tight an clear. Gibson Hummingbird seems to be calling my name (buying used; can't really afford new) but id also like other options. Definitely dread. Guild D-50 Bluegrass Special seems cool, and I've looked at Gibsons Songwriter series as well as the Hummingbird Pro. What are y'all's thoughts/suggestions?

Dereksslide

Gibson southern jumbo would do what you're after or a J-45. If you want bass thump it's a D18 or D28 for my mind.

Any of those sound like they'd suit to be honest, see what you can find used and go have a play.

Perchman

I'm a Guild D55 owner and alwys recommend trying one before you buy anything else. That said, a good J45 can have some real mojo. A Guild will normally be less expensive than a Gibson. Your are on a cool quest, I envy you!

RobJ

Platinum Supporting Member
cduff,

I know it's not a dread, but I just picked up a used Gibson J-100 xtra. It's a 93 model and it sounds great with the mahogany back and sides. Different from the J-200. I like them both, but really digging the J-100 and the price was very good.