New album from Kings X

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Supercubziggy, Apr 16, 2019 at 1:04 AM.

1. Supercubziggy

Supercubziggy Member

So Kings X are going into the studio this week with a good friend of mine Michael Parnin producing and engineering. This is in Pasadena at BlaCkSounD. It’s their first record in a decade. Expect Kings X with massive wicked guitars ala Dogman only better. I dropped off some gear for them including my 70’ Marshall straight cab, 68 Univibe, Echorec, Biphase, and some other goodies. Guitar gear from one end of the studio to the other. This is going to be great. I’m stoked for all involved...

2. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

3. Snail

Snail Member

Nice! Didn’t know they were still active. I was into them some 25 years ago now... guess I haven’t been paying attention properly!

4. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Member

Say hi to Jerry for me... he might not know my name but he walked in twice last week when I was sitting in with different friends.... he might just think that a lot of guitar players around here look alike... just tell him I'm friends with Todd and Arne and Sal and Gene.

Supercubziggy likes this.
  5. B Money

B Money Member

That's a tall order. I'll believe it when I hear it.

6. Supercubziggy

Supercubziggy Member

Yeah, i know it is. Everyone involved is a guitar freak. Total tweakers. There are amps and cabs literally everywhere. Jose plexi's, 72 plexi tweaked by Friedman, Bogners, JCM800's, 1974x, Twins, Supers, Vox, Lab L5, its not some amps, its all the amps. Plus i know the personel involved and they will leave no stone unturned. This is big label production all the way. Im hoping for big things...

7. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

Ok, you are really getting me excited now. I’ve only loved a few songs they’ve done from the last few albums, and I keep hoping they’ll do something approaching the level of their best works. I know Dug still has it in him, because the last KxM album, Scatterbrain, was incredibly good. I’d love some new King’s X on that level.

freedom's door and Supercubziggy like this.
  8. Boston617

Boston617 Member

If the production is half as good as Dogman, I'll be happy. That album is as perfect a sonic assault on the ears as any other record.

I hope Ty mixes it up with tones on this one. I haven't been huge on his live tone recently, but Alien Beans was a step in the right direction.

And maybe Doug could bring out the 12 string bass?

9. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

Super happy about this. It's been a long time since XV and I think it still holds up but I've been listening to Dogman a lot lately and.....it seems ahead of its time in a way.

Supercubziggy likes this.
  10. freedom's door

freedom's door Supporting Member

I hope Dug's been able to rest his voice before starting recording. While I know he can't sing like he did on Dogman, I'd like to think he's going to record at whatever his top form is now.
    Let's all hope the songwriting is up there with their best work, because to me that is the deciding factor between a good or great KX album.

11. I Am Misery

I Am Misery Member

so... like Soundgarden, only not as good? :p

are you kidding? they were like 2-3 years behind the bands they were copying on that album.

12. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

We get it, you don’t like them. Go spew some negativity elsewhere.

13. I Am Misery

I Am Misery Member

i don't really like or dislike them, but let's be realistic about them either way. 'Dogman' was a great example of a band simply copying what was popular at the time to sell a few more records. it is what it is, not sure how the fans are so blind to it.

from what i've heard of them their earlier stuff wasn't like this. i don't think much of those albums either, but at least they were doing their own thing.

14. ejecta

ejecta Member

I'm glad they are putting out a new album and I'd love to get super excited but I'm going to keep that reigned in due to being disappointed with a lot of the music in the last half of their career.

mikah912 likes this.
  15. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

Who exactly were they copying? Alice in Chains? King’s X had been playing predominantly in drop D since 1987. Aside from the occasional VH and Ratt tune, among others, they were one of the first hard rock bands to do that. On Dogman, they dropped down a bit further for some songs, and Ty was an early adopter of the Mesa Recto, so his tone got heavier. That’s about it. Same band.

Supercubziggy, Dasein and dpeterson like this.
  16. Horizontalmode

Horizontalmode Member

17. Scanloni

Scanloni Member

Well, he is misery. I guess he needs some company?

Baxtercat likes this.
  18. I Am Misery

I Am Misery Member

man, there are direct Soundgarden and Rage Against The Machine "sound-alikes but not nearly as good" on that album. how do you not hear that? nothing to do with drop-tuning or "heavy tones". same band, with very obvious "influences". come on.

that said, someone posted a Hendrix cover of theirs recently that was fantastic. the guy nailed the vocals and the rest was great too.

19. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I don’t hear that at all. Dug sings nothing like either Cornell or Zach, for starters.

Zappatalist likes this.
  20. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

Good point!