New Alex Lifeson Signature amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by joel98z, Jan 6, 2013.

1. db9091

db9091 Member

Let's see, a clean solid state amps with built-in chorus effect. That should about cover it!

(I'm a big RUSH fan, btw)

2. ctman64

ctman64 Supporting Member

I understand that it's handwired, but you can get an original Jubilee for well under 3K... it would be interesting to A/B it against my own Jubie, though...

3. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

I see Alex has 3 Fractal AXE-FX units in his racks...

4. db9091

db9091 Member

Alex famously layers multiple guitars, doing the same part, to create a sound.

I read a lead rock star one time say that he tried that, but he found the MORE you layer, the "thinner" the sound gets.

This makes sense to me, as I imagine the various wave cancellations of multiple guitar takes doing the same thing will cause certain frequencies to cancel out to various degrees, making the overall tone less "rich".

So a person who is willing to accept that drop in tone, in order to create a unique sound, is not a tone freak, and a multiple thousand dollar amp is wasted.

The Fractal FX's make sense given his spoken studio techniques of finding and tweaking these many guitar sounds for multiple takes.