New Allman Brothers themed pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cumberland, Oct 11, 2019.

1. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Not really. Master volumes are good these days. Pedals are not needed today either.

My best Allman tones come from a middle strat pickup through a Dirty Shirley set to light/moderate gain. It's a bit thicker and more middy than the bridge pickup.

But if somebody wants to express their fandom through pedals that have Allmans themes, more power to them!

drri likes this.
  2. drri

drri Supporting Member

Quick late night demo of the Missing Link trio together

Ramblin390 likes this.
  3. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Update, it’s been a while and currently am a little irritated. I still haven’t been able to try the pedal because when I did (nov 17. Or just after) no sound. Didn’t work.
    Contacted Mark, he told me to send the pedal back. Bummer. I get that it can happen. I sent it, cost me forty bucks in shipping.

At the time, he said “they” had tested the pedal before shipping and it worked fine. But that he would hold another pedal and as soon as he got the pedal back would ship out the other pedal.

it took a long time to get to him. Not his fault of course, it got hung up on customs here because it is a “repair” and so I don’t get toll on it when I get the other pedal.

Thing is, he didn’t send the other, he repaired the one I had. When I asked what the problem was, and also said I way preferred a pedal that worked as new. He only said “a solder popped”.
    Since he is sending the repaired pedal, I want to know what the heck that means. I’ve asked now repeatedly. There is no such thing, I do t know if he means cold solder joint, or what, but properly soldered points don’t just go bad. There was no sound of loose solder in rattling around in the pedal.

I also asked if he was going to refund all, or even just some of my extra shipping costs that were no fault of mine. No reply. I’m still waiting.

I’m not crazy about the experience so far. He responds (except when I ask about shipping, and want to know what the problem was) but at times it is cryptic.

still, I’m hoping the pedal was worth the frustration. There has been no hint of “sorry this happened to you with our pedal” or trying to make it right. No reason given to drop what we agreed on and repair it instead.

Ezzy911 and webs like this.
  4. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

I think these pedals sound great.
    Wonder how they sound with a Strat...

5. drri

drri Supporting Member

Working on that next.

SlyStrat likes this.
  6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Update: after several emails over several days, f8nally got some kind of answer but not one I think is right.

Still the wrong attitude, and also not very good communication. First complained that he was busy, then...and honestly his manner of writing I’m still not sure what he claims the original problem was, said something about the pedal not being packed well enough on return, or could have been customs. He said the inside of the pedal was “bent down” and because of this the solder popped out. This makes no sense to me, no handling by customs or shipping would put stress like that on a circuit board.

But again, he didn’t do what we agreed on, which is send me a brand new pedal. If he really thinks the pedal was stressed so much it would “pop” solder out, the he must know that stress could easily crack traces in the circuit board, cause intermittent problems, anything exposed to such stress he should have filed a claim with the shipper. Since I have paid forty bucks EXTRA for shipping the damned thing, the least courtesy would be to make sure I got a new pedal, that worked.

He or they had sent an email claiming I already paid for return shipping, so I was also worried about getting hit again with even more expense to pick it up. Now they claim they paid for this second shipping, of a stressed pedal.

If he means, and he seems to, that the popped solder happened because of shipping to him, then he doesn’t know what caused the pedal to not pass any signal when on when I received it.

This is a crappy way to treat a customer.
    When finally get the “repaired” pedal I’m still in the timeframe for a paypal refund, but that means forty bucks expense more to me? What a racket. He claims they made a video of it working before shipping it. Of course, I would just have to take his word for that was my pedal, but even if it worked after they resoldered, what did the stress he claims happened so to it? How much did that shorten the life?

(And really, again, how the hell could even playing football with a pedal badly packed “push down” inside the pedal?)

I was disappointed to get a defective pedal. But I was open to “ok, it happens”, and very glad he claimed to have a pedal in hand that he would send when he got the bad one. I didn’t make a deal out of shipping, but he never offered and seems to think I ought to pay for part of it. That he decided on his own to not honor the agreement, and only said after he had sent it sucks. The pedal took a while to clear here, so I suspect he got greedy and sold the pedal he was holding for me.

still no, “we are really sorry this happened”, or even an attitude that made me at all feel like they cared much. Not happy with his responses.

So just be aware. This is how they do it.

Anyone else have one and opened it up? I’m curious to how the solder job looks on a working pedal.

Ezzy911 likes this.
  7. Ramblin390

Ramblin390 Member

Seriously, chill out

8. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

seriously?
    You’d be happy with that treatment? If so, cool. But if others here wouldn’t, they ought to know what they are getting into. This is no way to run a business.

I’m getting a new broken pedal, that may work at the moment, we’ll see, but he claims has been hit hard enough to pop solder, that I paid forty bucks more for than the price.
    He reneged on the agreement. Don’t tell me to chill out, I’m pissed off.

That’s BS.

9. Rick Towne

Rick Towne Praise & Western Silver Supporting Member

Really. That’s one of the things I enjoyed about them; Duane and Dicky, right into the amps.

bluesoul likes this.
  10. Rick Towne

Rick Towne Praise & Western Silver Supporting Member

Not so harsh; I saw them in gyms, jai alai frontons, and in the front row on the Miami Beach Convention Hall lawn. No pedals and very comfortable volume.

11. bluesoul

bluesoul Gold Supporting Member

Buy the pedals and then stick the pedals in a drawer (with all the others)....guitar + amp is a very good thing! Pedals sound like pedals...amps sound like amps. For certain stuff ...pedals are great, Allman brothers???....leave them in the drawer.

12. Mike Alan

Mike Alan Member

[​IMG]
    This is a theme pedal and it’s not the first time it’s been done, if you want to sound close to what the band sounds like without spending a lot of money.
    In case you haven’t been paying attention Led Zep theme pedals are very poplar.

[​IMG]

13. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

yes there are many pedals available to replicate the many pedals Jimmy Page used:)

14. stanshall

stanshall Member

in the back of a dream car twenty foot long
    "Sausage Cologne" could have been a good Zappa song title

Snufkinoob and stratohiker like this.
  15. stanshall

stanshall Member

in the back of a dream car twenty foot long
    that and all the gator, possum, squirrel, raccoon, and swamp ape he ate as a Kissimmee kid

seriously, though, even if Dickey didn't really use pedals much, he did say he used this stuff for seasoning his meats:

[​IMG]

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Everglades seasoning products but I have used them before.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    Daniel Krawchuk and tubekingsley like this.
  16. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

Most of todays OD pedals don't sound like pedals.
    I bet in a tone test you couldn't hear the difference.

17. Ramblin390

Ramblin390 Member

What are you trying to communicate

18. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

It seems pretty clear. He included the post he was responding to, the opinion that there is something “not right” about using a pedal to sound similar to a band that used cranked amps, without pedals.
    Point being that it’s been done with other bands too.

Could take it further, OD pedals to sound like cranked amps, etc. pedals like the one he mentioned to get led Zep sounds, not much different than pedals to get Allman Bro’s sounds.

Mike Alan likes this.
  19. Mike Alan

Mike Alan Member

I would like to apologize for the way I said this, my first thought was “They didn’t use pedals” then I realized quickly that many pedals are designed today in this manner and I wanted to point this out. On a positive note this seems to me that it’s a cranked Marshall sound so what’s not to like about that.

Sent from Motorola DynaTAC 8000X

20. John s

John s Member

I'll just say.."Welcome to the club" I've been down this road with this guy promising unbelievable tone with pedals sprinkled with fairy dust.
    I'll just also say, Thank God for PayPal protection!