New 'Amercian Standard 2008' Telecaster

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mikenixon316, Feb 13, 2008.

1. mikenixon316

mikenixon316 Member

Does anyone have one of these? If so would you recommend it?

I'm in the market for a good Telecaster with a sub $1000 price tag.

2. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

I played one at Guitar Center yesterday, and I was very impressed. The neck felt and played great (which is always where it starts for me). The thing is I actually (very slightly) preferred the highway one tele which is about $200 cheaper. The neck shape felt almost identical, the frets on the highway are bigger. The weight of the guitars was almost exactly the same (american standard slightly lighter I think).

In any case, I'm in the same shoes as mike...I'm looking for a sub- $1000 tele and so far the highway one seems to be a good choice for around $700.

3. cacibi

cacibi Member

IMHO - the best, cheapest tele is the MIM Classic 50's Telecaster. Swap out the pickups and saddles - and you're good to go.

I hate the American Standard bridges (they are tone killers), and what they were thinking putting Strat-style saddles on the new ones is beyond me.

My Classic 50's Esquire is now my favorite guitar - after installing some Don Mare Pickups and Glendale saddles. New you'll pay $639 - used, you can find them for $450, leaving you plenty of dough for upgrades.

4. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

I played every MIM tele in the store (including the classic 50's) and I hated the necks. I much much much preferred the necks on the american standard and the highway 1.

5. bluesman69

bluesman69 Member

+1
    That is definitely a deal killer.

6. cacibi

cacibi Member

Kind of a personal taste thing. I play both - vintage spec and modern spec necks. I find vintage necks to be better for chording, and modern necks better for lead work.

7. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I'm sure the Am. Std. Tele is a nice guitar but can't see getting used to Strat saddles on a Tele. :NUTS YMMV

8. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

The strat style saddles are nothing new - the previous American Standard Strats and Teles had the same saddles. Actually, the Custom Shop uses strat style saddles on the Custom Classic Tele model.

Personally, I think Fender is right on the money with the new American Standards - I picked up a new Strat and it's a great guitar.

Make your decision based on the guitar, not the hardware - it can be changed if you really want to.

There's a used CS Custom Classic at Hill Country Guitars for $1250 that I've been eyeing - if I was in the market for another tele in the $1000 range, that's a good deal.

For objectivity - that's not my guitar on consignment and I've actually never bought anything from Hill Country ... just came across it while surfing.

9. Tommy Tourbus

Tommy Tourbus Senior Member

the previous steel rectangular block saddles they were using were good imo...i wonder why the change?

10. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Callaham makes an 3 barrel brass bridge that fits the new AM St drilling so why worry about it.

11. dhayden7

dhayden7 Member

I actually just bought one of these today and absolutely love it. I had played a 52RI Hot Rod, and while I agree that is a stellar guitar, I cant say enough about the 08 standards. The overall feel of these guitars is awesome, mine is in natural with the ash body, and she looks stunning. Sounds pretty damn good too. I do like the look and feel of 3 barrel bridges better, but I plan on getting one from callaham to remedy that. Since this post is worthless with out pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. mikenixon316

mikenixon316 Member

that's really nice. I like the look of the natural with rosewood fingerboard too.

Does the six saddle bridge really make a difference to the 'tele tone' or is it just a cosmetic thing that you guys don't like? I only ask because, if I buy one of these, I want it to be a guitar that I don't have to spend extra on modding/upgrading.

13. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

they're just being anal.

14. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I bought one a few weeks ago and I really like it. I was surprised at how loud it is unplugged and how it sustains. The Strat saddles look different but they sound very good. I A/B'd it against a Baja for about an hour and took the Am Std. I tried a few MIMs too but at least in the store I was in, they didn't play the way I wanted. Sweet guitar for small $$$ that required very little tweaking, except for changing from the 9s it came with to 10s, which required 20 minutes of adjusting time.

15. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

I like them fine. If you decide to change the saddles, you don't need an entire bridge. Pretty easy and cheap to mod, and you can always go back.

16. jbgordon

jbgordon Member

I just bought a 3-tone sunburst with maple fretboard 08 tele earlier this week. Its one of the best Fender guitars I've played and I think the improvements made a big difference. The thing that I noticed the most is how resonant the guitar is unplugged. Being an acoustic player at heart, that is what impressed me the most.

I'll post pics later.

17. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Anyone else picked one up lately?

18. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Makes sense .. doesn't the Highway 1 also have a flatter radius ..?

19. markflo

markflo Member

i checked their website seems like the both have that 9.5" radius

20. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

The Highway one Texas Tele has a 12" radius.