New American Standard Strat, Is it really better?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 6stringjazz, Jan 30, 2008.

1. 6stringjazz

6stringjazz Supporting Member

Fender just revamped the American standard strat with new specs for the bridge, trem block, neck radius, finish etc... just wondering if anybody has played one, and if they really are better or if it's just more hype.

2. stringgears

stringgears Member

I can't speak for the American Series, but they also revamped the MIM series, "bigger frets, bigger block, alder body". IMO, they are much better than the older MIMs. I bought one.
    SG

3. rdnzl

rdnzl Member

4. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

Yup, the American Series is now history, and they're back to the American Standard. I checked them out briefly and they look great. Everything I've heard/read from people who bought them or spent some time with them is that Fender hit a home run.

I can't say I like the color offerings, which are kinda drab. The new Tele choices are even less inspiring.

5. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

the neck carve is a bit different...felt like a sharper shoulder to me, and overall maybe even a little thinner. pups sounded stronger than before and there did seem to be more sustain coming from the bridge.

what i liked most was the color of the demo my rep had..."candy cola"...
    looked great in person.

6. Curly

Curly Member

I'll have to check these out before passing judgement.

however, using the same saddles on a tele seems a little ... convenient ... some of their blurb regarding that sounds like they are rationalizing a bit.

I guess I'll have to try the teles to find out.

that's one thing that concerns me ... the "Modern C" seemed thin on the one I got a couple of years ago, and I've gone to fatter necks in the mean time. Hard to go back.

7. indytruckboy

indytruckboy Member

On the MIMs. You say alder. Does that mean they aren't multi-piece sandwiched between two veneers?

8. KCWM

KCWM Member

I have a 60th anniversary strat. Of course, it's not necessarily a high end strat, but I kind of dig the feel of it, along with the pickups.

But, now that the standards most of the features that the 60th has except for the pearloid fret markers and 57/62 pickups. The delta tone is a nice addition. I'm pretty sure it had the staggered tuners as well.

The only thing I do not like about them is the bent saddles. I really like the American series saddles. They feel better when resting your hand on the bridge, for whatever reason.

I'm tempted to get rid of my 60th anniv. strat and pick up one of these standards.

9. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

that's just from the fact that fender is putting way too tall screws in those bent saddles. swap them for the shorter ones (1/4" on each E string, 5/16" on the middle 4) and you'll have a winner, all of the tone mojo of a vintage all-steel bridge with the modern improvements, namely 2-post design and slightly narrower spacing.

10. jbgordon

jbgordon Member

In my opinion, yes. I'm jonesin' for one of the maple fretboard teles.

11. crosse79

crosse79 Member

I do like the Charcoal Grey or Sienna Burst... others not so interested.

12. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

They're already using shorter screws on the new American Standards, for that exact reason. I believe it was in the laundry list of new features I read.
    In almost 40 years of playing Strats I've never been bothered by the bridge screws (I don't rest my hand back there), but I guess it bothers enough players for Fender to address the issue.

13. Dylan61

Dylan61 Member

You can't just use shorter screws in the saddles..., you will lower the action too by changing them...

14. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

now i'm curious, I need to get out and try one of these.. I hate buying guitars new though....

15. Jellecaster

Jellecaster Member

I can't speak to the Strat because it pains me just to type that word! But I have one of the new Teles and they are awesome! I have a pretty large collection and I would rank this one right up with the best of 'em! I would imagine Leo's other guitar is just as good, if you're into that kinda thing. :rolleyes:

16. Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow Member

If the necks are getting even MORE thin, then I'll never be able to get a Strat without having to spend money on a partscaster or one of their more expensive offerings.

This really disappoints me in regard to standard production Fender guitars.

17. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

where did you guys play them at GC? wonder what kind of supply they have... may have to call ahead

18. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Me too. Where did you hear they're getting thinner? They were too thin already. Funny though, some people actually think the U.S. strat necks are too fat for them! They must be playing Jackson/Ibanez type.

19. Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow Member

I'm going by Esoteric Pete's post (#5) in this thread. It seems he has played them.

I can't imagine thinking Fender necks on their current American Strat's are too big! To me they feel like twigs. A real disappointment every time I pick one up, because everything else feels and sounds very good.

20. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

I have an outstanding example of an American series. its an 06 and its great. I picked up a new Am Standard and it was not as nice as my Am. Series guitar. And yes the neck is thicker on mine compared to the new one I looked at.