New amp advice - Marshall or Friedman

BBBJay

Hi all, new here and thought I'd ask... I am sure it's a tired discussion but I have been thinking about picking up one of these brands of amps. Of course the price difference between a TSL/DSL/JVM is HUGE compared to a Friedman BE or SS, I am interested in all of these amps. Currently using Orange but like the idea of adding another to the stable... you know gear problems. :)

Thoughts?

Gridlock

I'd only compare the Marshall handwired series amps to a Friedman. Of these, the Friedman amps and only the Marshall Astoria would have a Master Volume. The non master Marshalls need to get pretty loud to get some overdrive.

Serenity

I'm a Marshall guy through and through. Just be sure to do your research first as not every model is great. I like the Friedman amps i've tried but they've all sounded too "polished", for want of a better word, and Marshalls tend to be more raw. But if you like the Friedman sound and figure they're worth the extra then go for it.

andyk

Silver Supporting Member
I love Marshalls, and aside from my vintage 1987, the amp I wish I kept was the JVM205 head I had. The best sounding tube amp at low and high volumes! Great clean, killer gain, great mid-gain. If you want one Marshall that does it all, the JVM 205/210 are my recommendation. Used they sell for $900 or less.

Jchrisf

I love Marshalls, and aside from my vintage 1987, the amp I wish I kept was the JVM205 head I had. The best sounding tube amp at low and high volumes! Great clean, killer gain, great mid-gain. If you want one Marshall that does it all, the JVM 205/210 are my recommendation. Used they sell for $900 or less.
I've started to hear the guys at the Marshall forums recommending the JVM over the DSl lately for the most versatile and best sounding Marshall. They seem to recommend the 410 but that seems like overkill and is a lot more money. Are the only differences in the 205 and 210 the wattage?

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
Friedman makes great amps, no question. You have to find the one that you like and make sure of it, especially if you are spending that much coin.
Always love the Marshall stuff! Lots of them around and you can usually find and try the version that suits your playing style.

andyk

Silver Supporting Member
I've started to hear the guys at the Marshall forums recommending the JVM over the DSl lately for the most versatile and best sounding Marshall. They seem to recommend the 410 but that seems like overkill and is a lot more money. Are the only differences in the 205 and 210 the wattage?
No, the 410 has 4 channels, and different EQ on the gain channel. The 2 series uses one of the gain voices from the 410. It's simpler, and less overkill (who really needs 4 channels with 3 modes each)!

I liked the gain WAY better than the gain on the DSL. But, you CAN get a used JCM2000 DSL head for $600 or even less! Something to think about.

ken374

Kinda more like the other way around people seem to like the DSL over the jvm for tone. Sorta 50/50, but the jvm has more options acoarse. I had a JVM awhile back.

buddastrat

If I was in the market for a Marshall, I'd hunt down a nice JCM 800, 2204 were always my favorites. or the combo version. The only Friedman that could steal me away from a Marshall would be the Dirty Shirley, and that's probably because it reminds me of a JCM 800 ha. But it has a nice loop as well. The other Friedmans like the BE or the small box just a little buzzy or too hairy for my tastes. Reminds me of the Splawn modded Marshall I had years back. More compressed, and when you try to clean them up, they get thin. The JCM 800 keep the muscle and balls when clean or dirty. It's quite amazing. I think it's one of the most powerful/punchy tones of any amp, ever.

jpage

An older UK DSL is a must own IMO--they can be had for under $500 if you are patient and they sound great. The JVM 410 is getting to that point now--under $750 with some patience and haggling. The JVMs cleans are much better than the DSLs and the OD Orange channel has your Friedman type tones in it. The footswitch/options on the JVM are almost worth the price of admission alone--if you play out live you will love the dual footswitchable loops.

Personally, I'd grab both of these heads for $1250 and then decide if you even still want a Friedman. If you do, then get that next haha

sg~guy

-what tone are you chasing?

-JVM's,... tons of gain and options,... but they don't have the balls,.. the sledgehammer to the chest of a JMP or JCM...

-FRIEDMAN's come in many flavors,.. If your after a high gain MARSHALL tone,.. There hard to beat,.. If you want a "raw" tone,... FRIEDMAN JJ

jpage

-what tone are you chasing?

-JVM's,... tons of gain and options,... but they don't have the balls,.. the sledgehammer to the chest of a JMP or JCM...

-FRIEDMAN's come in many flavors,.. If your after a high gain MARSHALL tone,.. There hard to beat,.. If you want a "raw" tone,... FRIEDMAN JJ
If you can't get a badass rock and/or metal tone out of a JVM it isn't the amps fault. I gigged one for 6 months and they can sound incredible. Sure JMPs and JCMs sound great but who plays venues that can handle those amps anymore? Not me.

I've had a couple Friedmans--great sounding by themselves but IME they need to be turned up to loud to be heard in a band mix. Something about the exaggerated bass I think.

michael.e

Silver Supporting Member
I am more of a Marshall guy myself. I have owned Friedman and other high dollar Marshall variants in the past. IMO, one does not need to spend much over a grand to get an amp that delivers killer tones at reasonable volumes. I agree there is a toothiness/rawness with a hint of sweetness to the real deal that I have not gotten out of others. I think personally, my biggest issue with the Friedmans is that they are charging super high dollars for an amp that is built by a second party production facility. They are fine amps. Spending that kind of coin on a toy [for me], I want it to be built by the builder at his shop. I want the same in an boutique acoustic or electric guitar, why not amps? With all the hoopla over PBG and pre-Baker instruments/Fano instruments and such, why would this be any different? What about pre PBG Two Rock?
I would pay sub-2k for what I consider to be a production amp, but absolutely no more. Then, you can get a real Marshall for significantly less if that tone is what you are after.
For me, after all the vintage units and botique offerings, the Vintage Modern takes care of Marshall business quite handily. And for $700.

Last edited:

buddastrat

I am more of a Marshall guy myself. I have owned Friedman and other high dollar Marshall variants in the past. IMO, one does not need to spend much over a grand to get an amp that delivers killer tones at reasonable volumes. I agree there is a toothiness/rawness with a hint of sweetness to the real deal that I have not gotten out of others. I think personally, my biggest issue with the Friedmans is that they are charging super high dollars for an amp that is built by a second party production facility. They are fine amps. Spending that kind of coin on a toy [for me], I want it to be built by the builder at his shop. I want the same in an boutique acoustic or electric guitar, why not amps? With all the hoopla over PBG and pre-Baker instruments/Fano instruments and such, why would this be any different? What about pre PBG Two Rock?
I would pay sub-2k for what I consider to be a production amp, but absolutely no more. Then, you can get a real Marshall for significantly less if that tone is what you are after.
For me, after all the vintage units and botique offerings, the Vintage Modern takes care of Marshall business quite handily. And for $700.
I did not know that about Friedman. Maybe that has something to do with reports on inconsistencies with them.

michael.e

Silver Supporting Member
The company that builds for them, builds for Diezel, 65, Morgan and others. I'm sure the product is good. It is simply not what I personally am after.

http://boutiqueampsdistribution.com

Hmm, I guess they stopped building for Morgan.

Last edited:

BBBJay

Thanks for all the replies!

TO maybe make it a little simpler... I have never really find a good marshall that I bounded with out on the prowl looking for one in shops but I love how they sound on records with bands I listen to. I played a Mesa Roadster for years and later found Orange.. Orange I love but looking for something else to use with my Orange rigs. Knowing the Orange throws out thicker tone, I thought Marshall would be a good one. There is always a lit up Vox AC30 but not for pushing gain. I am rock guy so don't super metal gain or anything.

Serenity

I have never really find a good marshall that I bounded with out on the prowl looking for one in shops but I love how they sound on records with bands I listen to.
Might be helpful if you told us what Marshalls you've tried? And without mentioning some of the bands you listen to it's hard to say, but if you like the more polished Marshall post production sound then a Friedman might work for you.

ukslinger

Never played a JVM or Friedman but IMHO an older DSL is amazing for higher gain Marshall stuff. And at 500-600 bucks it's an amazing bargain. One could upgrade transformers, get great tubes,ect...and still be way under what a lot of other amps are going for these days. Or just leave it alone cause its pretty awesome stock.

Its not the greatest two channel clean/dirt switching amp but still better than most, IMHO. I feel like I've got good overdrive and solid cleans that are easily good for gigging without playing with the eqs between songs. And for recording you dial in a ton of great tones individually without much trouble. Great loop, too.

Trending Topics