New amp.. Bad Cat BC50 head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by el34power, Aug 14, 2019 at 6:32 AM.

1. el34power

el34power Member

Got it in a trade for a 5150 iii 50 watts.
    I was looking for a backup to my jcm800's low input ( i need to use pedals for my setup).
    Man! Totally different beast. Definitely not a plug and play replacement. Knobs are IMO, extremely interactive and sensitive. Quite a tone balancing act.

2. Radar

Radar Member

3. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Supporting Member

I have one. really like mine but needs a new OT and I haven't figured out which one to get.

4. el34power

el34power Member

Can you tell me more about it.. tube wise? Haven't openned it up yet. i wee a set of JJ in the power section. What preamp tubes (brand) does it come with?
    Any other tips i should know? And please keep me posted on the OT you chose..
    Thanks

5. el34power

el34power Member

Well. Have been giving it a go the last couple of days.. 2x12 Avatar with 1 Scumback H30/55hz, and 1 Weber H30/75hz. Weird. I have to run tone settings low, or else it just gets ice picky. Presence 10:00, Bass noon, Mid 9:00, Treble 8:00 max after that ice pick city, Vol 1 8:00, Vol 2 Noon max then it just adds mud. It doesn't feel all that loud. Feels more like a 15 Watt. Having owned a 72 superbass, and owning a 2203 (i know not the same but), tried a JTM45. I was expecting more torque. I am thinking it needs a re-bias?!