New Amp/ Boogie 5:50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by guitarmikeb, Mar 2, 2008.

1. guitarmikeb

guitarmikeb Member

Wondering if we have any players with gig experience on this amp. I'm interested in it, but I'm not sold on which combo I want yet. I like the portability of the 1x12 but not sure what it sounds like. I've only played the 2x12 and would like some input from some guys gigging the amp.

Does it play well with pedals? Please guys hit me up or give me some other options. I was considering an AC30 as well, but I'm just not sold. I play covers ranging from Stone Temple Pilots to System of a Down. If you don't have any experience with this amp, give me some lower wattage options that would provide a coverage palatte that would meet those styles.

Have looked at a few different amps including Buddah, Vox to name a few. Looking for some suggestions from some of the cork sniffers out there. I am on a bit of a budget, trying to stay around/under $1500.00. A 1x12 combo would be preferred but is not necessarily a must. :dude

2. MartinC

MartinC Member

3. dkbmusic

dkbmusic Member

I own a Mesa Express 5:50 2x12 with a 2x12 extension cab. I really can't imagine a gig where this amp couldn't cover all the bases necessary. It's very versatile, and I have a decent sized pedal board I throw in front of mine with good success...

4. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

I have a Mesa 5:50 1 x 12 combo.
    I love it. It's just a great all around amp. Good for about any kind of music. It's great with pedals.
    I highly recommend it.

5. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

I have a Mesa F-50, which was discontinued in favor of the 5:50. Very similar but with less features. I love it and great with pedals. Lots of tones in that amp!

6. Mullenski

Mullenski Gold Supporting Member

Mesa 5:25 here. The class a/b setting (25 watt) seems to like pedals better than the class a (5 watt) setting; at least the ones going into the front end like o/ds and univibe. However, amp overdrives pretty quick in 5 watt mode even in the clean setting, so really don't need the o/ds. The univibe mushes up real fast in 5 watt, not so in 25 watt. Pedals in the effects loop work like a champ in either mode.

7. guitarmikeb

guitarmikeb Member

Thanks for the heads up guys. I'm still leaning the way of the Mesa, but I'm liking the sounds I hear out of the Rivera Venus series. Anyone by chance had a side by side with the two?

8. rastaman

rastaman Member

Mesa 5:50 2x12 combo here, great amp IMO.

9. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

i got the 1-12 version....seems a tad on the bright side...can't seem to get any low end thump but overall a good grab and go small rig. It likes pedals as well...

10. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

I don't find that to be the case at all, but then my TMB controls are all set below 12:00.

11. ScottR

ScottR Silver Supporting Member

5;25 1x10 here... the 2nd channel sounds best with all TMB below 12'oclock

12. guitarmikeb

guitarmikeb Member

I'm guessing I'm gonna have to go by a local dealer and check out the 5:50. I like the portablility of the 1x12, but just a bit skeptical on the brightness of it mentioned here. I'll have to check it out.

Anyone with any Rivera Venus experience? Any input from you guys?