New Amp Day - 1967 Fender Bassman [AA864]

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by toddincharlotte, Apr 25, 2015.

1. toddincharlotte

toddincharlotte Member

Well, it's not exactly new, but it's new to me. This was an eBay purchase from a tech in PA that went through it. Mainly just a recap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway, I've been playing it in the studio as a chassis but recently put a temp cab around it because I'd been wanting to gig with it. It sounds spectacular and cuts through any mix.....very very pleased with this one.

So much so, that I made a video.

Sorry for some of the audio. I recorded on my zoom h1 too but it clipped when i kicked in the drives.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  2. dscuyamungue

dscuyamungue Supporting Member

Thanks for the write-up and demo, good stuff!

3. toddincharlotte

toddincharlotte Member

'Preciate it man, was hoping to get more airplay on this because of the popularity of these heads but maybe just not "boutiquey" enough for TGP.....I really really really dig the head.....has become my #1.

I may redo the demo b/c there is definitely some peaking going on in the recording.

4. garret

garret Member

Funny how many of the people on TGP prefer boutique equipment that is based on or nearly identical replicas of vintage designs.

But of course, the word "boutique" must mean it's better, right?

I've stood in front of a lot of amps. And a Bassman is an amazing amp, from BF to the early SF.

Let others chase the high priced boutique gear so we may still enjoy the classic designs at a very affordable price!

5. kingofrats

kingofrats Member

Very nice amp!

How much clean headroom do you get out of it?

6. cherokee747

cherokee747 Member

Got a nice thick sound, have a 65 I love. Great rock machines....enjoy

7. Hulakatt

Hulakatt Supporting Member

I'm always looking for mostly working/working fender amp chassis on ebay, must've missed that one! I've been trying to find a good deal on a Bassman head for even longer too, you're making me so jealous right now.

8. Kelly

Kelly Member

Grats. Wish I'd never sold mine.

9. toddincharlotte

toddincharlotte Member

Thanks guys. It's taken the place of my DSL.

10. toddincharlotte

toddincharlotte Member

That's a valid question man and honestly, I had it on 3+ in the demo and on the treble pickup and if you really dig in it will break up slightly. That's where I play 90% of the time though because my cab at the church is isolated in my office [closet] and miked with an SM57.

I think it all depends on how you play. I'm going to redo the demo over the weekend and I'll play on 5 and on 10 so you can get an idea of how it performs. Honestly it's got to be pushing 100 db at 3+ but I can see where it would might be a little limited in a medium sized hall pushing a 1X12.

11. tuj

tuj Member

I've had a 68(?) and a 72 Bassman 100 heads. Love those suckers. Congrats.

12. damian1

damian1 Member

Nice I have a 67 as well. Did the tech convert it to aa864 specs? There is little chance if it is truly a 67 that it would still have an aa864 circuit. What speaker/s are you using?

13. spaceman_spiff

spaceman_spiff Supporting Member

Gratz on the NAD! I've got a `68 that has the 'Allen' mods on the Bass channel. I was gigging it with a THD 2-12 (Gold + Scumback H75 mix), but I recently had a 1-12 combo cab made for it. It's a great gigging amp in both formats.

[​IMG]

14. custom53

custom53 Member

I used to have a '67 Fender Bassman with the macintosh mod. I should have kept it. Great amp but I didn't realize it until later on after I stopped playing Hair Metal..

15. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

16. toddincharlotte

toddincharlotte Member

You know, that's a good question. The way the guy had it advertised it sounded like an original AA864 but the more I read about them the more it sounded like CBS discontinued it in 1965. It may be modded not sure, I looked at the mods though and they are few, eliminating negative feedback loop etc. It was definitely done right if it was modded.

I'm actually running it through a 1X12 Bad Cat Celestion right now but was toying with doing a Jensen or Alnico Blue.

dscuyamungue likes this.
  17. dscuyamungue

dscuyamungue Supporting Member

If it is the AA864 circuit you might want to try the WGS ET65, that's what was recommended to me by Mr Scaggs (he modded my '66 to the AA864 circuit). The ET65s were a better match than the Celestion Gold, EV12L, Jensen Blackbird and several others I tried. Nice low end and tamed the highs just the right amount.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015