• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

New Amp Day (Allen content)

pattste

I was not actively looking for a new amp, but this was too good to pass up. I was checking kijiji (canadian classified ads site) Wednesday and see an ad for this amp:

This an Allen Old Flame 2x10. The amp was purchased as a kit in 2005 and built by a Quebec City technician. It has Reverend All-Tone 1030 speakers and JJ tubes currently. I am the third owner.

A handmade, point-to-point amplifier made of the best quality components, designed by a reputable amp maker, in A-1 condition.

As an illustration of how slow the economy is currently and how poor the resale value of boutique amplifiers can be, I paid only CDN$800. This model currently sells for $1700 (or $1200 in kit form), plus shipping, custom fees and taxes.

Full specifications at http://www.allenamps.com/oldflame.php

(In 2007, Allen changed the cosmetics of the Old Flame model to more closely match a blackface Fender.)

I most likely would have bought a Fender when the time came to upgrade my Hot Rod Deluxe. But with the major price increase earlier this year that brings regular production Fender amps with cheap PCB electronics and MDF cabinets with cardboard back into boutique pricing, it's simply not justifiable to buy a new Fender amp these days, IMHO. And when you get the chance to buy these superb boutique amps used for a song, the decision is even easier.

GearHeadFred

CDN$800? What is that, about US$100 ?? :) Just kidding!
Congrats.. Allen is good stuff and hopefully the guy who built it did a good job.

sicktone

The Allen's are great amps and offer great bang for the buck. David Allen is a serious "Fender-head" and always helpful. His bench fees to give an amp the once-over are very reasonable as well.

Great deal/purchase and congrats!

Wayne

I had a 2x10 Old Flame head and cab that I thoroughly enjoyed. To this day, it gave me the best recorded lead tone of any amp I've owned. Be warned though, to get it I had the Raw Control completely disengaged and the gain and master maxed out. It was really loud but we were playing outdoors with no PA support except for the vocals. What a tone!

khromo231

I've been toying with the idea of springing for either an Old Flame or Brown Sugar kit for my first build. How does this amp sound with humbuckers or P-90's?

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
Nice, I had an Allen Accomplice junior head with a matching Avatar 2x12 cab. It was a killer rig. The key is to make sure (or trust) the person who built the kit knows what the hell they are doing. Or, just buy one direct from Allen. In any case, these are my favorite Fender reproductions (so far).

Phil M

Silver Supporting Member
Those amps are great at what they do--I had the head (twice). Played the first one quite a bit for a couple of years.

dbeeman

Platinum Supporting Member
I had an Old Flame and a Bruno CT45 at the same time. They were very close
Bruno was a bit sweeter in the top end. Probably the Allen sounded more like the original Fender.

steven.rogers

Congrats! I bought an Accomplice from a forum member a week or two ago and I've been very happy with it. I had been considering a Fender DRRI but as you said, the new Fender prices make the Allen clones a MUCH better value for a much better amp as well.

Trending Topics