New Amp Day: Bogner Goldfinger!

Kentano2000

Gold Supporting Member
Yet another satisfied user added to the happy club! Got it about 10 days ago but been too busy with life to post. Love everything about this bad boy; it's gonna be around for a long while. Running through a Marshall 2061x and Goldfinger open back 2x12. Obligatory pics:

RSRD

Nice pickup! always good to know there are other Bogner users in NoVA! Enjoy.

Kentano2000

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks guys!

What Bogner/s are you using, RSRD? I almost bought a Shiva about 5 years ago but went for a Mesa Electradyne.

There are lots of great clips out there already, Assumer. I don't really have the setup to do the amp any justice :noevil. But I've always dug this demo; it's in German but I understand everything I need to. And it's dead on accurate :D:

Anybody have any setting suggestions? Not that I really need them; EVERY setting sounds fantastic. Just wondering what's floating boats...

YYZ

Silver Supporting Member
When played through individually, do you have a preference for either the 2061cx or the Bogner cab.? I'm sure open vs. closed makes a difference but any other thoughts?

Kentano2000

Gold Supporting Member
Good question! It really depends on my mood. Both sound great. The GF open back is not as focused and punchy as the Marshall closed back, but more open and "bassier," or "fuller." If I have to choose one or the other, I like the closed back better for general dirty tones and the open for clean. But both are totally fine for all applications, though, and I wouldn't have a problem leaving the house with either for a gig. Of course running through both is the bees knees, but sometimes that ain't practical. If I was forced to sell one I honestly don't know right now which one I'd choose to sell and which one to keep. Check back with me in a couple of months :D.

RSRD

Thanks guys!

What Bogner/s are you using, RSRD? I almost bought a Shiva about 5 years ago

Ive had pretty much all the big ones except the GF. I've had the 101b, xtc classic, Shiva, 20th shiva and currently have a rev blue Uber.

Keep us posted as things go.

Kentano2000

Gold Supporting Member
Will do! Thanks for the heads up. Still can't believe how good this GF sounds, and I haven't experimented with any of the tubes!

robertkoa

Thanks guys!

What Bogner/s are you using, RSRD? I almost bought a Shiva about 5 years ago but went for a Mesa Electradyne.

There are lots of great clips out there already, Assumer. I don't really have the setup to do the amp any justice :noevil. But I've always dug this demo; it's in German but I understand everything I need to. And it's dead on accurate :D:

Anybody have any setting suggestions? Not that I really need them; EVERY setting sounds fantastic. Just wondering what's floating boats...
What an endorsenent "every setting sounds fantastic ".

I saw a Video with Kirk Fletcher playing a lot of "dirty cleans" and Blues and even the Clean Channel is very expansive on this Amp isn't it ?

Where it's kinda Clean but you can play Rhythm OR inspiring Leads at the same setting ..then theres still the British Tones and gain...love to play one...

Congrats.

Kentano2000

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks! Yes, well Kirk Fletcher playing anything usually sounds pretty darn great. LOL! But there's no doubt the GF can keep up with him and give him what he's going for. There's a lot of tonal mileage in this amp.

DGTCrazy

Mod Squad
Staff member
Congrats OP! Love my Goldfinger. I currently have the 45 watt version too, as well as an EL-34 Shiva and Duende, (30 watt). Bogner makes great amps....period. The ONLY amp I've played that I think rivals and perhaps surpasses the Goldfinger is my Carol Ann Tucana 3. But by "surpass", I am really splitting hairs, (based on the Tucana's 3 channels, programmable footswitching, ability to bias at the gig), and that I prefer Alan's OD voicing for the band I'm in now.

jpage

Very interested in this amp. Is it in the "Marshall camp" would you say? What would you compare the level of on board gain to? DGT I had and LOVED a Tuc 2 (one of the biggest missteps I had in my buy/sell amp history), and I had a Shiva which I didn't feel had enough gain and/or sustain for my liking. I don't like pedals and like to get all my dirt from the amp.

How is the TMB circuit? I find most Marshalls--esp vintage ones--to be pretty inflexible due to a useless tone stack. Appreciate you sharing your experience!

Kentano2000

Gold Supporting Member
I would certainly put the GF into the "vintage" camp. Having played other Bogners, it is a bit of a departure for them as far as I can tell. The dirt is certainly Marshall inspired while the clean takes its cue from Fender. The 2 dirt modes include a Plexi take and a JCM 800 take. You can use the loop in the preamp for a gain boost on both modes. Not a ton of modern gain on either mode but the JCM mode with boost might get you where you want to be. The bottom end is not SUPER tight, so that might affect perceived gain and feel. The TMB circuit is good, but coupled with the "Gain EQ" provided, you shouldn't have ANY problems dialing in a tone. :dude Whether there is enough gain on tap for you, only you can decide. Enjoy a test drive!

Congrats and HNAD. My Goldfinger puts a big smile on my face every time. Can't say that I really have any tips to share - it's one of those amps that's hard to dial in a bad tone IMO.

jpage

I would certainly put the GF into the "vintage" camp. Having played other Bogners, it is a bit of a departure for them as far as I can tell. The dirt is certainly Marshall inspired while the clean takes its cue from Fender. The 2 dirt modes include a Plexi take and a JCM 800 take. You can use the loop in the preamp for a gain boost on both modes. Not a ton of modern gain on either mode but the JCM mode with boost might get you where you want to be. The bottom end is not SUPER tight, so that might affect perceived gain and feel. The TMB circuit is good, but coupled with the "Gain EQ" provided, you shouldn't have ANY problems dialing in a tone. :dude Whether there is enough gain on tap for you, only you can decide. Enjoy a test drive!
I'd love to but unfortunately there are zero places to check out Bogners anywhere around me. How would you compare the Goldfinger to the standard Shiva?

Kentano2000

Gold Supporting Member
Well, to me the Shiva has more of the Bogner DNA in it's dirty channel. You know, that lower-mid emphasis. The GF certainly has less of it. The clean channel on the Shiva is a little "stiffer" than the GF with a bit more headroom. Hope this helps.

Trending Topics