New Amp Day (Budda SD18)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by S.A.M., Jan 15, 2008.

1. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

I got this on Thursday
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. oacikgoz

oacikgoz Member

Man you're gonna love this amp... I have the combo version and it's the best amp I've ever owned.

3. seeker

seeker Member

You're gonna' love it ! I have 2 heads running stereo, the rhythm channel rocks, then I hit the lead and go to VH territory. What type of music do you play mostly ?

BTW- Thru that 4x12 it's going to be L O U D !!!

Enjoy !

Howard

4. Burst59

Burst59 Member

I have the combo, it's the best amp I've ever owned.

5. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Superdrive 30 head owner here. Amazing amp. Congrats!

6. Mcclassic

Mcclassic Member

Great amp, got a head too, amazing tone.

7. schaljo

schaljo LEGEND

Combo here. Top notch tone!!

8. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

I like having a head I can actually turn up to half on the master, instead of 1.5.

9. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

SDII 18 1x12 combo owner here since 2003.

I'll never let it go. Great amp. Congrats!

10. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

I play lead in a hard rock cover band. Well actually things from CCR to Metallica. But even the classic rock has a harder edge to it. So far I find that the SD18 has a nice chimey clean with a little dirt playing at band levels. The drive channel is very unique sounding with the mid pushed in. It has a very thick focused mid thing going on, with some bite. IMO when you pull the mids for modern, it sounds more "generic" sounding, maybe more marshally. Not alot of bottom end, but I think thats what the bassist is for, and should be easier to hear know. It sits real nice in a band mix with 2 guitars. Seems to be plenty loud with the 4x12. I have the master up around 1 o'clock. I was supposed to have a gig this past weekend but things got screwed up with the booking so I didn't get to try on stage. :doh:

11. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

And sorry for the crappy pics. If I put the flash on, I great a HUGE glare, and with it off its to dark. I need to take some more pics with some sunlight.

12. 37Hauser

37Hauser Member

Nice, I'm interested in that head as well. What speakers are you using with it? clips?

13. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Member

Holy Crap!!! My band would $hit if I had my SD 18 master around 1 o'clock. And I use a 1x12. I bet it sounds great.

14. Andre357

Andre357 Member

I have a SDII 18 and a SDII 30 both 1x12 combo's.... interestingly I like the sound of the 18 watter better. The both sound great but the 18 watter sounds a little thicker and has more perceived bottom.

I've had many amps over the years and it the best sounding, simplest , most easy to haul amp I've ever used ( I've owned fenders, mesa's marshall's, Dr Z, music man and more ! )......

Really nicely voiced amps. I think they're a lot more verstile than people give them credit for as well....

Also, my master never gets past 10 o clock or I'm way too loud ! I keep my master at 10 o clock and my rythmn volume at 9 o clock and I have more than enough volume and clean head room....

I may be picking up a 1 x12 budda extension cab soon though....more for looks than anything else ! Will look like a killer mini stack ! Not sure whether to go for a closed back or open though.........

15. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

Ooohhhhh baby....this post is killing me.

I am at work right this very moment, checking the UPS site every half hour. "Out for delivery." "Out for delivery." "Out for delivery." C'mon Brown...make it happen!

My new SD18 combo should be waiting for me when I get home. :RoCkIn

A

16. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

Well I think my ability to turn my amps up a bit is the way my basement is. I've kind of got my amp off in a corner, because 1/4 of my basement is a bathroom. So I put my amp in the other 1/4 so its not really blasting anyone. My amps volume doesn't change between jams and gigs.

Also I don't find the shared controls a problem at all. Maybe I'm just used to it. Its kind of like my old Jubilee.

17. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

I've got Eminence v12s. I think I want to try something different. This cab seems to make all the amps I've used smooth, and a tad dark. And sorry, but I've got no recording gear. Hopefully I can get my girlfriend to bring her video camera to one of next weeks gigs and get some crappy video.

18. dougb415

dougb415 Supporting Member

I can't even turn the master to 8:00 on mine before it is blasting me out of the room... and my wife is telling me that "it's getting louder up there" - well, YEAH!!!!

19. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

Well I just finished playing it again (only the second time), and WOW. I must of been using a bad cord on Thursday or something. On Thursday I didn't think it was a keeper. I was really wondering what all the hype was about. The cleans were nice, but the drive channel was really dull, compressed, with no low end and no bite. BUT TODAY. The master at 9:00 was louder than when it was at 1:00 last time. The bass was there. It had a very nice bite. And it was oh so clear. NOW I get the hype. I definatly think its a keeper. At least until the next G.A.S. attack.

20. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Member

I am loving the lead tone I am getting with my SD 18 II. It is like the perfect combination of Marshall and the Robben Ford tone to me. Not too smooth but not too harsh. I know I sound like goldilocks but it is just right for me and my guitar.