New Amp Day.... DENIED!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by echale3, Oct 23, 2008.

1. echale3

echale3 Member

Last week I pulled the trigger on a scratch-n-dent Crate V18 2-12 for $152 delivered at MusiciansFriend.com....

I had to leave for a business trip from work on Monday, so my wife too reciept of the amp when it showed up Monday afternoon.

Fast forward to last night--I get home from my trip about 7, the wife and I go to dinner, I come back, get a shower, and figure it's time to unpack the new amp and put it through its paces.

I sliced open the tape on the box, carried the amp down to my music room in the basement, made sure the power is off and it's set to standby, check to make sure the speakers and reverb tank are connected, and plug it in the wall.

I turned on the power switch, and the little jewel light didn't light up. I know that there's no problems with the socket in the wall, my Triple XXX is plugged into the same outlet. So, I flipped the power switch off and back on as I was looking at the back of the amp, and I saw a decent-sized blue-white flash and heard a loud pop.... I got a faint whiff of fried electronics... Yep, she's toast..... Turned it off, unplugged it, carried it back upstairs, and boxed it up... I'm calling MusiciansFriend here in a bit, to see how they are going to handle it.

2. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

Sorry to hear that. Maybe they'll swap it with a non scratch and dent one.

3. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

the "friend" is pretty good about that stuff...

4. THebert

THebert Member

Well, this is a different company (AMS), but I had the same thing happen with a bass amp. When I called them, then sent a new amp out right away and told me to give the broken amp to the UPS guy when he came by. So I did not have to return the broken amp first, they sent out my replacement right away. I am guessing MF will do the same, so hang in there.

5. snoggin

snoggin Member

I think scratch and dent at MF can also mean it was returned because it didnt work .. I ordered a S and D budda sd 18 and it was cosmetically perfect but had something wrong with t he board inside.. unfixable according to budda so I sent it back again

6. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

MF is great about returns.

7. Fusionshred

Fusionshred Supporting Member

Just got a blues jr from MF - wanted the one with the brown tolex and creme knobs...

pulled it out of the box, plugged in... no sound. Shut off and looked in back, and all the tubes were loose. OK... pushed the tubes into their sockets and fired it back up, and this time I got sound, but no reverb.

Called MF and told them what happened, and they asked me whether I wanted to exchange it for another one or just get a return. Since I decided I wasn't crazy about the flimsy tube sockets anyway, I just wanted a refund, so they emailed me a shipping label for the return.

Nice! Absolutely no problem.

8. ♪♪♫♫♪

♪♪♫♫♪ Senior Member

I think this is accurate, and it seems to be part of their business strategy. They seem to simply box up their returns and sell them as "scratch and dent" without testing them.

As far as the current Crate stuff is concerned, you have to be somewhat leery when the scratch and dents are basically always-available stock items. It means that LOADS of them are coming back defective, and they are "throwing them all against the wall" and hoping most will stick.

9. echale3

echale3 Member

Well, I talked to MF, and they gave me a Return Authorization #, and e-mailed me a UPS shipping label... I told them I wanted to exchange the amp for one that actually works, which they agreed to do. They didn't mention that I had bought it as a scratch-n-dent, so I don't know whether I'll recieve another scratch-n-dent amp in exchange, or a NIB one.

The amp I got had the box opened, and the inside plastic baggie around the amp had been opened, but there wasn't so much as a scratch on it. My guess is that it had been removed from the box, plugged in, was found to be DOA, and got returned, whereupon MF simply put it in the scratch-n-dent pile and pawned it off on somebody else.....

I had hoped that they'd ship me out a replacement amp immediately, and just have the UPS guy pick up the old one when he dropped off the new one, but no such luck--I have to ship the old one back first, then they'll send out the replacement...

I've got my label printed out, and I guess we'll see how well they follow through.... I've got my fingers crossed, but I think that this has the potential to go south PDQ...

10. jerrydyer

jerrydyer Member

Just like everything else in this world, it started out good but now, trash. Musiscians friend started out great. They actually sent me a used Dynacomp.