New Amp Day! Dr. Z Maz 38 Senior 1x12 Combo.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Irradiasian, May 3, 2016.

1. Irradiasian

Irradiasian Member

I've got one music gear guru friend with a lot of connections (let's be honest, we all have one!) and he informed me of a mint Dr. Z in my little city for a good price.

Went over, played it, loved it and took it home!

With my Hilotrons it actually gets very Fender-ish but with a bit more mids and that cliche word "chime" when working with any amp equipped with EL-XX power tubes.

I'm in a very small minority I think that likes the sound of a pedal overdrive/distortion over an amplifiers, but this one sounds great cranked.

Excellent, excellent amp and unfortunately I think I might have to find my little Princeton a new home!

2. Eric Porter

Eric Porter Member

Congrats! I played the Maz 18 and loved it. Just bought a new amp myself, went with a Mesa TA-30 that I got a great deal on.

Dr Z's are great, enjoy!

3. Irradiasian

Irradiasian Member

Thank you! It's quite the beast. I haven't had this high wattage of an amp in a while, so it's pretty fun. How're you liking the TA-30? A British/American voiced amp is the dream

4. Eric Porter

Eric Porter Member

I just picked up the TA yesterday, having a blast with it. Can't wait for the first band rehearsal. Seems capable of a lot of tones, I need a few hours when the family is out to crank it up more, but very happy so far.

5. Geetarman74

Geetarman74 Member

Congrats!

Love the Dr Z amps. I've had several and they never disappoint.

Play it well!

6. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

That is a nice one! Z's are my ultimate amp, 38 was just a hair on the hot side for what I do. Try it with an Air Brake, it adds another dimension.

7. muletrane

muletrane Member