• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

New Amp Day! ~ Goodsell Super 7

darkstar11

OK.. so I found a deal on one of the original Goodsell 5 amps. It had recently been updated by Richard G to the newer specs of the Super 7 with the 2/7watt switch, Clean/Crunch and upgraded Hammond OT. It came with a Private Jack Red Coat speaker (which may be original -- not sure)..

I got the amp a couple weeks ago and when I received it ... it appeared the package had taken a "hit" during shipping. The rectifier tube was smashed and even after replacing all the tubes...the amp just didn't sound perfect.

So at the advice of the seller, I called the Goodsell company and Richard Goodsell answers. I tell Richard the story and that I bought it 2nd hand etc etc ... After a few minutes of troubleshooting over the phone .. he says without hesitation "send it back to me and I will go over the entire amp and make it as good as new for you" ...... WELL needless to say I was very pleased to hear this and sent it in last week and just got it back today.

I just want to publicly thank Richard...He took the time to make "his" amp right. He even called me when it was on the bench to discuss how I wanted the amp to sound. Plus .. he included fresh tubes and several different preamp tubes so I can further play around with the tone.. All this at no charge, I believe they call this good old fashioned "service"!

I got it back today ..oh Man! He sent back one HELL-OF-A - AMP!!

I think it's a winner for me .. since this is my living room amp and in 2 Watt mode cranked ... I can get some hot sounds (both clean and distorted). Plus it is very pick sensitive.. when I digg in.. the growling tone comes out of the amp's belly...This little Goodsell with the different switchable modes...is like having several different amps in one cabinet.. The clean /crunch switch really works wonders and the 2 and 7 watt mode goes from fairly quiet to LOUD. It is a very cool little amp !

Ok.. that is it for me ... Wish me a "Happy New Old Amp Day" .. I am going to go play some music !

Last edited:

magnus02

Nice man. Even though you didnt pick mine up glad to see youre so happy with the goodsell. These amps and richards service are VERY VERY hard to beat. Enjoy it.

darkstar11

Magnus... yep.. It is a very cool amp indeed.

I dont even miss reverb.

Just put the kids to sleep...
we'll soon see if the 2 Watt mode is too loud :RoCkIn

CitizenCain

What "style" amp are the Goodsells? I've heard that even though many look tweedy, they're not really based on tweed amps at all. Are they unique circuits or a take-off on a classic design? Owners sure seem to rave about them!

trucks

Welcome to the Super 7 club! I am amazed at how many tones I can get out of mine. Enjoy!

darkstar11

Welcome to the Super 7 club! I am amazed at how many tones I can get out of mine. Enjoy!
Exactly...This is what makes it a very cool amp.

I am experimenting a bit this morning and switched out the 12AX7 with the 12DW7 he gave me to try.

The 12DW7 cleans the amp up .. also lowers the volume output a bit.. brings out another "side" of the amp.

But .. I think I may prefer the AX7. I like the added gain when I dig the pick in...

Like I said... it is a very robust sounding amp... really perfect for my needs :AOK

5E3

There should be a GAS warning in the title of this thread ;)

Very nice! Congrats :AOK

darkstar11

I just cannot stop playing through this amp!

I'm digging it !!

The clean/crunch switch really is a cool feature.

I am still experimenting ... But the 2 Watt + Crunch mode with volume and tone between 12 and 2 o'clock seemed to be a favorite setting. It also sounded best with my guitars volume full.

In the 7 watt mode... the Amp just KICKS A S S ... Especially, with my guitar's Humbucker's coils split. The pickup's volume output is much lower .. but the amp's 7 watt compensate and the sound is pristine to classic overdrive. This is where the amp seems to shine! This is where the amp takes on a new dimension .. I felt that my pick was doing the talking. The amp really produces the Tight and Warm overdrive tones... Also it produces the more pristine clean rhythm tone when struming chords... I feel like I can do the entire Stones Sticky Finger album with this one amp....

I must say ... that I have only had a handfull of combo amps and most recently a Swart AST. But without a doubt this Super 7 is hands down is my favorite. Although, the Swart AST is wonderful ... it was just too much power for me and I could never get to it's sweet spot playing at lower home volumes.

All in all, I really think it is great amp... Just perfect for my needs here at home ....

hongsta

I bought a Goodsell 5 used from a fellow TGP'er and I wasn't quite satisfied with the tone. I have a Goodsell S17 which I think is MAGICAL and I guess I expected too much from G5... I decided to call Richard to find out. Richard was extremely nice and can tell that he has pride in his name and therefore his amps. Richard offered to get my G5 updated to G2/7 free of charge! (which should get closer to tonal territory I want) I just shipped off the chasis and I can't wait to get it back!!! Based on what I've read on TGP, apparently, this is his normal way of doing business. I was already impressed with his amps based on the S17 I own and now I'm equally impressed with his service.

Trending Topics