New Amp Day - Gries 5 combo

It's a 5 watt champ style amp with treble-middle-bass controls, a gain knob, a pull-bright switch, master volume...

I was looking for something low wattage that does great cleans for mostly playing around the house with pedals. It definitely delivers.

I put one of the new wgs g12q speakers in it, so far so good, seems pretty balanced, no harshness or anything unpleasant. I've had several similar amps and can already tell this one is a winner with the great price and features, still in the early honeymoon phase but I think this is the best bang for buck amp I've owned thus far. Sorry no pictures yet. His build time was very reasonable.

GTRJohnny

Dave makes great amps. It's a hot looking little amp and I love that G12q. I have one in my Gries 12! :)

Toe

Also saving for this amp. Maybe of interest for gearpagers not from the US: Dave ships the Gries 5 (but not the others) overseas and can build it with the proper power transformer and AC plug. There is a $50 upcharge which I think is very reasonable.

P90Nut

I have had my Gries 5 combo for many years - I love it! I ordered mine in red with wheat grill cloth. Mine doesn't have a bright switch, and I have not modded anything. Dave was a pleasure to work with. My next amp will be his Gries 15.

empty71

Mine just shipped! Got the e-mail from Dave this morning. I can't wait! :)

I was a Gries amp dealer some years back but Dave prefers to sell direct these days within CONUS and graciously agreed to build me my amp in 230V with a British style 3-pin plug :)

Last edited:

Toe

Sadly the Gries15 is not shipped overseas. :( I'm a little worried about the clean headroom of the Gries 5 as I want to use it with a band. My band is not very loud (I use a Laney Cub10 right now which easily has enough headroom but also 5 watts more) and I’m always miced live, so it might work. :)

FreeBlues

Silver Supporting Member
My Gries 5 is my all time favorite, both for clean and OD - I have yet to find a bad tone. I am seriously considering a Gries 15, just because I'd love to hear one!

Better still, Dave was and continues to be great to work with.

Top Bottom