New amp Day(s) Rivera R55 & VVT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tcmono, Mar 3, 2012.

1. tcmono

tcmono Member

Went a little crazy lately. Rivera R55-112 arrived, VVT X40 on the way. Rivera has a Peavey speaker in it, I have a WGS Veteran 30 on the way. Almost got a Reaper but decided on the Veteran. Really love the amp, should have gotten one a LONG time ago. Two things I DON'T like, the non-boost on the Brit channel is a little dull sounding, but that might be 'cause I'm a Fender Blackface kinda guy. Also the boost on the brit channel increases the volume a HUGE amount, a little too much. But I knew that. The "Fender" side with the Ninja engaged is awesome! The "Marshall" side w/boost is equally fantastic. And it's small and portable! This will become my "grab and go" for open jams and stuff. I won't need a pedal board at all for jams with this amp.

Will post VVT impressions when it comes.

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I recently got an X40. I'm using it in an A-B setup with my VVT Lindy Fralin head & 2x12 cab. Sounds PHENOMENALLY GOOD!!!!!!!

3. Kardula

Kardula Member

I actually have the opposite problem with my r30, the boost on the fender channel is waaaay too much, almost unusable because of how much volume it adds. The marshall channel is just fine though, I get a nice lynyrd skynyrd sound from the non boosted channel.

4. bgood

bgood Member

miss my R55. I kept the boosts on all the time. A common mod is to make the boosts adjustable via a pot that's installed on the chassis somewhere. I found the amp livened up great with them on much richer sound. I just set it up that way and left it - used channel switching instead of pedals. If found the amp didn't do well with the pedals I tried. For me it was a little heavy for a grab and go but all depends on what you are used to. Enjoy that amp.