New Amp Day! Suhr CAA PT100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Guitar Fixation, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Guitar Fixation

Guitar Fixation Member

Look what Mr FedEx dropped off:

[​IMG]

I purchased the PT100 from Cameron (Thorazine Dream) here on TGP (he was awesome by the way, fast shipping, amazingly well packed, thanks again Cameron!). The PT100 is replacing a AxeFx II and Matrix GT800FX, I really liked the Axe, it sounded really good, I will miss the Das Metal patch in particular and may even be an Axe owner again in the future. But I really ended up missing having a real live amp in the room. The PT100 is fantastic for a classic Marshall to modded Marshall tone. I read on the Suhr forum that you can get as much gain as an OD100SE+ via a trim pot in the chassis, I'll be pulling it open over the weekend to check it out. I bought a Dr Scientist RRR to add a little ambiance and it sounds great, also cool that they are a Canadian company (as a Canadian living in CA, it is cool to that the homeland is producing some really great sounding stuff). Overall very happy with the PT, now I'll just have to save up for a VH4.... ;)

- Paul

2. koa

koa Member

One of my dream amps for sure. Congrats and enjoy that puppy.

3. Guitar Fixation

Guitar Fixation Member

I was going to add that as an "apartment player" the PT100's effects loop "Return" control allows for you to dial the amp down to whisper quiet levels. I was testing this out and found I needed to hit the bright switch and put the treble up all the way, but it still sounded great to my ears! Now if I can only wear John Suhr down and have him offer a 1 3/4 inch nut I can have the whole Suhr package!

[​IMG]

4. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

Great amp. I love mine. One of the best on the market... and I was a Diezel user for several years.
    :red

5. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

Geez, really? You bought a $3k 100w amp to play in an apartment?? :huh

6. guitarmike

guitarmike Member

100 watt amps can sound killer at apartment volumes. That is the beauty of an amp like the PT100, from bedroom to stadium it sounds great.

7. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

That amp started as a Classic+ that was mine. Cameron sent it to Suhr for the upgrade. You have a great amp there. John and Co. always do an amazing job...

8. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

First off, congrats to the OP for a great NAD! I'm jealous!

And then...

Totally concur, gmike! I don't have a CAA PT100 but I do have a hunnerd watter with a great MV that gives me, to my ears anyway, great sounds at whisper volumes. (For "after the rest of the fam has gone toes up" noodling.) Are they the same as full throttle? Noooo... but they're good enough that I sold my pricey attenuator to put that coin back in the gear fund for other purchases.

And then when I -can- torque it up a few notches, ahhhh... there ain't no cleans like 100w cleans... not to my ears anywho...

9. jpage

I suppose, but I can't get the picture of a little old lady getting groceries down the street in her Peterbilt out of my head...

10. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

Don't think that's a fair comparison. I can play my 100w amp at whisper volumes when the fam's toes up and then crank it up a few notches when the opportunity presents itself. And while I may never crank it to the max, the cleans from a 100 watter cannot be matched, given my experience with hunnerd watters and smaller iron in the home, by lower wattage gear.

And I'm not saying cleans are all I live for... not by a long shot... but when I want them...

11. jpage

Hey I'm mostly just bitter because I'd love to have the amp LOL. But you can't possibly tell me with a straight face that an apartment player would want this amp for the great cleans...really? This is a logical choice for "whisper quiet" apartment playing? Again...really?

12. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

Well, again, I don't have a PT100... but I do get better dirt tones at whisper volumes with my MV 100w amp than I could ever get with a NMV 5 watter.

Yes, really. Cleans too. Big iron makes a HUGE, no pun intended, difference in tone... at all volumes. Or so my experience tells me.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  13. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

Beautiful amp -- congrats!!

Obviously the OP is happy with his new amp for quiet playing. If you're still unconvinced that certain 100W amps can sound good at low-volume, why don't you start your own thread about it. Or else do a search -- there's been tons of good discussion here about this very issue.

14. Guitar Fixation

Guitar Fixation Member

Hi. So, when I say "whisper quiet level" what that means is, when it is late and I'm in the mood to play - I can. It doesn't mean that I always play at that level. The PT100 can sound good at that volume and for me that is a plus. But it also happens to sound great when I do get to turn it up.

I happen to live in the City of San Francisco where space is at a premium, but I love living in this city and have no plans to move to South or East Bay *shudder* (kidding Big Mike ;)). So that means I have people all around me, some even sharing the walls and floors. I am lucky to live in a flat that only has one couple who live below me who happen to be very cool about volume (from guitar amps, from my listening system with dual mono 300 watt amps, and from a decent 5.1 system). But once the clock hits about 8:00pm, I turn it down. Why? Because I respect my neighbors and the neighborhood I live in. Why is it that I should not own this amplifier in your opinion? It has the sound I want, the features I want and has the ability to run quiet and sound damn good while doing it when I need it to. Sorry if it offends your sensibilities. I never said it was the *perfect* solution, but it works for me.

So yes, really.

- Paul

15. Guitar Fixation

Guitar Fixation Member

Also wanted to say that a Clark Gainster is the perfect complement to the PT100. Makes Channel 1 into a classic Marshall, adds dynamics and saturation to Channel 2&3 (also makes pinch harmonics come alive).

[​IMG]

16. billyjett

billyjett Member

Yeah, I'm envious as well, congrats!! It looks like a really well made amp, and if you are able to practice at low volumes and get the grind, more power to ya! I wish some of my old Marshall's had that capability. I'll have to go to youtube and check this one out

17. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member