New Amp Day: Vox AC30HH

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by geek-mo, Apr 22, 2015.

1. geek-mo

geek-mo Supporting Member

It has a Weber copper cap rectifier and I really like the punchy sound enough that I'll keep it in there. The person I bought it from played it loud through a 4x12 loaded with greenbacks and it had a sound reminiscent of an older, 4-hole Marshall. Takes pedals like a champ and is easily the most beautiful sounding amp I have ever heard, let alone had as my own!

Now, I think I need to find an attenuator. This amp is LOUD.

[​IMG]

2. playthecray

playthecray Member

Congrats. Those amps are fantastic.

3. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Member

4. Cosmik de Bris

Cosmik de Bris Member

I play mine through a Rock Crusher and take the line out into another amp for effects.

5. geek-mo

Thanks. It's an odd feeling. It's like I no longer have amp GAS. I know I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but I can't think of a british-voiced amp that can do anything that this amp can't, in one way or another.

I guess it's time to start saving for that Twin Reverb!

:banana

6. Brerwombat

Brerwombat Member

Awesome! Congrats and enjoy.

7. Custom50

Custom50 Member

Those are really good sounding amps. My friend and other guitar player in one of my bands uses one those those heads with a greenback loaded cab and it sounds great. I use an Orange Rocker 30 and those two amps sound really good together.

8. Abandoned

Abandoned Member

Nice grab. Those amps sound so good. Just too loud for my playing scenarios. Is totally have one if I could get it up to right volumes.
    Enjoy!

9. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

Probably my favorite amps of all time! Congrats

10. geek-mo

I swear, through a closed-back 4x12 with greenbacks, that amp sounds positively Marshallesque! Not 2204/2205, mind you, but late 1960s to early 1970s. I've been a Celestion Blue purist for a while now, but I plan to start looking for a 4x12.

Thanks! It's a loud beast. I will get an attenuator a little later this year. I suppose I could get a PPIMV installed, but I don't want to mess with this amp. It's perfect the way it is!

11. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Congrats on the amp mate.

I have a HW AC30 with a bypassable MV and to my ears at least the amp sounds better with the MV bypassed and an a good attenuator (a Power Station in my case) doing the role of a MV. I think this is because the AC30s need the power tubes to cook a little to give up the goods, they aren't really a pre-amp based amp. So my suggestion would be to avoid a PPIMV and invest in a good attenuator but YMMV.