New Amp Day: Winfield Elizabeth

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RupertB, Jan 22, 2012.

1. RupertB

RupertB Supporting Member

Picked up a NR head version on the Emporium.

Once I got it fired up, I noticed the pilot light was out and there was a good deal more hum than it should have. The hum was attenuated somewhat when the Mid control was turned down.

A new bulb wouldn't light, so I was thinking "shorted lamp." Sure enough, disconnecting one connection to the lamp got rid of the hum. Now, even turned up, it is very quiet.

Only had a little playing time on it but, so far I love the sound & response of this; my first BF-style amp. Also, the first pro-built amp I've bought in over 20 years. :hide

This one's loaded with 6L6s. Will try a pair of np Tung Sol 6V6s eventually.

2. QQQ

QQQ Member

Congrats. I've always wanted to try one of his amps.

3. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

Nice!!!

I saw that on the Emporium & was in touch with the seller briefly, but decided against it because it's actually got quite a bit more wattage than I need & I already have too many amps anyways. Looked like a screaming deal!

Good luck with it. I'm a very satisfied Winfield Cyclone owner & think Winnie does a wonderful job. You could always reach out to him for questions, etc. too.

Best of luck with your Elizabeth!

4. RupertB

Thanks guys. I've got it in a new cab and should have the new pilot light in by tonight.

Yeah, it is a good deal more power than I'll be able to use for my usual duo/trio gigs (I'll still use my homebrew amps for most of those) but I've started taking full-band dates with some friends and need something with a little more "OOMPH."

Winnie has been very patient with & prompt in answering my questions.

I hope to get some pics & maybe clips up soon.

5. RupertB

Bump for a pic. Winnie was kind enough to send me a logo plate for the head shell, so here she is:

[​IMG]

Took her out for a spin at Saturday night's gig (trio gig, no drums), just for the second half. Played with the settings exactly as you see them. Even with the volume that high, she stayed fairly clean with SCs. Plenty of harmonic richness, girth, and sustain but without much apparent "hair." Based on my (thin) experience with BF amps, this one reminds me most of the Super. Note: I'm playing through a 1x12 Blue Dog, so take the comparison FWIW.

My Empress's "in between" sounds are more convincing & musical through this amp (compared to my Lightning clone, through which they could sound nasal & thin, played clean). The neck/middle position gave me one of the best "Down to the Waterline" tones I've found yet.

Another difference with the Elizabeth is how it reacts to my ODs. I've got a TS808 set to "cleanish" boost (no drive, level at 2 o'clock) that mates perfectly with this amp for solos that need some mid-focus but not a lot of hair. For higher levels of OD/distortion I'm using a Barber Direct Drive. I wound up dialing up a little more OD for the Elizabeth than I use on the Lightning. Where the Lightning would have gotten a little strident, the Liz remains very musical yet tight and articulate.

Overall, I'm very impressed with this amp. Looking forward to seeing how she holds up with the full band. At this point, I like the Liz's basic tone and flexibility but suspect that the Lightning may have an edge for a few of the hard-rock tunes we play.

Might be time for a Radial Headbone. [​IMG]