1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

New amp dilemma

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mbookatz, Feb 21, 2012.

1. mbookatz

mbookatz Member

I am based in england and on the market for a new amp. i want something clean so i can use pedals with it. My dilemma is that its tough to find good second hand gear in the Uk. I have a place in America i really want to buy a super reverb or a nice clean fender amp. If i was to ship the amp from my place in america to england would it cost me a fortune and not be worth doing. Just to be clear this wouldnt be the store shipping it but will be me shipping it myself. Thanks

2. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

Between the cost of shipping a large amp from the US to UK, the VAT you'll have to pay on import & the normal risks associated with shipping amps, I'm guessing it's probably wiser to pay substantially more for such an amp in the UK... even if it's a bit of a drive from where you're located. Others there in the UK will hopefully give you some input.

3. mbookatz

mbookatz Member

is there still a vat charge if i send the item from my house in the usa to mine in the uk, seems strange to pay vat in that situation.

4. Stu Blue

Stu Blue Member

I'm sorry but I cannot believe you've actually bothered to look around either the shops or the guitar mags. It's not possible to live more than 30 miles away from a "gear shop" anywhere in the UK. Buying a Super would just be a matter of choosing which one.