New amp for a future new Dad

Louiddur

Hi there,

I'm about to have my first kid (due for December 25) and I would like to have a smaller amp than my Super Reverb to be able to play sometimes.

Should I go Amp sim or small tube amp? I was looking for something like a Pro Junior or an AC4. I really don't know anything about amp simulation

Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks a lot :)

aynirar27

Notable Member
Gold Supporting Member
Congrats man. Once they are about 1 year old they can just walk away from you when you play.
I just had my 2nd one a few months ago and gave in to a load box/IR. I surprisingly like it a lot. If low low volume is what you want, I’d stick to digital/amp sims. Even my 5 watters aren’t fun to play at those volumes

jnovac1

Supporting Member
Hi there,

I'm about to have my first kid (due for December 25) and I would like to have a smaller amp than my Super Reverb to be able to play sometimes.

Should I go Amp sim or small tube amp? I was looking for something like a Pro Junior or an AC4. I really don't know anything about amp simulation

Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks a lot :)
don’t overbaby the baby. play for her/him! one of my grown daughters told me how she used to love falling asleep while i was playing in the room.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Silver Supporting Member
Carr Mercury V - brit voice and built-in attenuator that sounds good. shhhh baby's sleeping

mikemjr12

I use my orange crush 35RT and it’s headphone feature all the time. I have a Mesa and a can clone but don’t use it as much. The orange sounds good and solid state is much quicker to turn on and off.

wrxplayer

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Newcastle 30 from Jackson Ampworks. Power scaling goes down to 1 watt and you can really get some excellent tones at low volumes. These are $750-900 used. Really great sounding heads.

sleewell

Helix.

Works loud and quiet and all points in between for many genres. Congrats on first kid. They are great. We have 4.

andy474x

As someone in the same boat a couple years ago, I can say that a Two Notes load box/IR rig has been some of the best money I've ever spent on gear. A small modeler would be fine, too, but I would stay away from a low powered tube amp - even a few watts is suprisingly loud.

The thing about tube amps is, if you want to use one anywhere near a practical volume that gets them "doing their thing," and I'm not talking about cranked, I'm just talking not so choked down that the whole purpose of having a tube amp is totally defeated, that will usually be loud enough for the whole house to hear, unless you have a very large and/or well insulated home. Low frequencies travel through HVAC like crazy, something I've learned the hard way! So, spend your money on some kind of load box and IR loader, Captor X, Suhr, etc., and headphones or some small studio monitors, or go for a small modeling amp. Unfortunately there's no in between! But, I will say, having an IR capable setup has been awesome in more ways than just quiet recording - it's a piece of gear that will serve you well for quiet playing, but in many other ways, too.

I guess some people have wives/baby mamas/babies that don't mind some volume, but that's not usually something you find out until the rubber hits the road - six stringin dads beware.

Emigre

If space is limited and you need to steal some time on the kitchen table, THR10.

If you get to keep a practice space, Fender GTX, Katana or Kemper. Aux in + headphone would be an absolute requirement.

A new baby will bring stresses and tensions, you don’t want to compound it by practicing pentatonic licks or the solo to Battery while your significant other hasn’t slept in 3 days.

And, a good set of headphones and you’ll be playing in your own private space away from screaming babies and irritable partners :)

coltonius

Señor Member
When our daughter was born, I used to play my AC30 in the living room while she napped in her swing in the corner. All it took was an attenuator!

That said, I have 3 kids now and they're not all such good sleepers. A MV amp like a Blues Jr IV or a Vox AC10 would be well within your budget (especially if you purchase used). You could go a step further on the BJr. and get a Weber MiniMASS to tame it even further.

SmartAlex

I second the vote for Yamaha TR amps (or maybe even the Positive Grid Spark amp too) but if you want tube tone and breakup, I still stick with my recommendation the HT-1R. Small package, low cost, great tube tone and it’s one watt dammit! haha :)

I used to own it and even the HT-5R but wanted a larger, louder amp. Now I have a Marshall 40W and tweed Blues Junior as of this week (that is loud!)

Good luck and congratulations!

heyrobscott

As a fellow dad, getting the Suhr Reactive Load was the best purchase I've ever made. If you already have an interface, you can get the regular version, or the more expensive one with built in IRs has headphone output. I went with the regular one since I have an interface, I load up an IR on the computer and can dial in the exact amp and pedal tone I want at the playback volume I want. Worth every penny.