New amp for country cover band?

ripgtr

I got a call to do a few country gigs with a friend a while back. He found out I played country when I was sitting in with his rock/blues band and we got a request for country and did a Haggard song. He got some gigs where they wanted mostly country, so he called me. We did a variety of stuff, from old to current stuff (I even got to play pedal steel on about half dozen songs, that was fun).
I used my SFDR. The same amp I use when I do blues and rock gigs. But I got it as it has THE best twang country sound for me.

I have a Kingsley Jester and an Angry Charlie right now and various compressors. The DR is a great pedal platform, and with pedals, it covered everything I needed it to cover. There are SO many good pedals out there these days, you can really cover a lot of ground with just a couple. A lot of current country is "classic rock" type tones, and with a pedal and a DR, I can nail it close enough and easy enough.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
For road-worthiness and cost, it's hard to argue with the Musicman amps. Not found on every street corner, but they're great for country, enough reverb and clean overhead for the old stuff and take pedals just like a BF Fender. And lighter watt for watt...

waylon

what about an amp switcher since you like both your amps? use the Deluxe on the older stuff and the Reinhardt on the newer...

BadAssBill

Gold Supporting Member
I'm going to disagree with some suggestions here. AC15 and a Goodsell is not a good country clean platform. I LOVE Goodsells, but both amps have a sound that doesn't bode well with haggard type stuff. I had both when I switched over to all country and it just didn't sound authentic.
That really shows you the challenge....going from a good clean to the modern country tone. I agree pedals should get you 80% there. It's the quandary.

I also use a SFDR and pedals, for larger gigs I use a Zwreck. I have some clips from gigs somewhere on you tube...PM me if you want to hear them and I can tell you how I'm doing it if you like the tone.

stephenT

I'm going to have to disagree BAB, try a Goodsell MkIV V6, the perfect country amp. I've got a WGS Black and Blue in mine. Most excellent for country and/or Curtis Mayfield style R&B.

I'm going to disagree with some suggestions here. AC15 and a Goodsell is not a good country clean platform. I LOVE Goodsells, but both amps have a sound that doesn't bode well with haggard type stuff. I had both when I switched over to all country and it just didn't sound authentic.
That really shows you the challenge....going from a good clean to the modern country tone. I agree pedals should get you 80% there. It's the quandary.

I also use a SFDR and pedals, for larger gigs I use a Zwreck. I have some clips from gigs somewhere on you tube...PM me if you want to hear them and I can tell you how I'm doing it if you like the tone.

amoodymule

Silver Supporting Member
I'll vouch for the Mesa RectoVerb 25, I sold mine to a fellow musician who plays in a country band, and he loves it, and he sounds great from what my ears have witnessed:D

MikeVB

Silver Supporting Member
I'm going to have to disagree BAB, try a Goodsell MkIV V6, the perfect country amp. I've got a WGS Black and Blue in mine. Most excellent for country and/or Curtis Mayfield style R&B.
Watching Richard talk about the V6 on YouTube it sounded like it's basically a Tweed Deluxe type tone with reverb and trem.

BadAssBill

Gold Supporting Member
I've only used and owned the super 17, so maybe you're right about that one. I used my Zwreck tonight. It doesn't **** around.

stephenT

With a super 17 and the V6 (both MkIV) I can cover all the tones I want. The 17 does thick (EL84) tones, cuts great w/ full mids. The V6 has the classic scooped mids, nice sparkle on the top end,.. tweed deluxe ish. I think I'm Pops Staples when I'm playing the V6.

I've been looking for an opportunity to use them together, would be a glorious combination.

Trending Topics