New amp for the reluctant band member?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by erikzen, Feb 12, 2018.

1. white cloud

white cloud Member

Sounds like either a quick fix, or something you'd keep for the long haul. You mentioned the Amplifire Box I've read and heard about that pedal and can load IR's. I said I prefer my tube amps but a couple months ago bought a Eleven Rack and a Year of Pro Tools for $350.00 new in box. Mainly for DI and reamping out to my tube amps and I was actually tracking a song today and recorded a Dry track as well as one of the 11 rack presets I programmed(for reference) and you know what? already fooled my buddy when he heard it and actually I was quite surprised so go figure.Do let us know what you wind up with. Happy hunting

2. ucnick

ucnick Supporting Member

Katana 100. I turned a good buddy of mine on to mine and he plays in a somewhat popular local country/country rock band, he went out and bought himself a Kat 100 1x12, same as me, and loves it. Had a jam with him and some other friends last night. He went straight into the amp and adjusted from his guitars volume pot. His tone is fat and sweet and just kills. Every time we get together he thanks me. Getting embarrassing. :beer

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  3. 6string_highway

6string_highway Member

Boss katana 100 will perfectly do. I think if you go tube amp save more and buy the big guns and in doing so you'll end up saving a lot more.

4. erikzen

erikzen Member

This is kind of where my thinking is going. Get the Katana for the short term, especially if it's just for part time gigging. Who knows, maybe I'll love it, but at least it seems like it will be more than adequate for what I need. I do like the acoustic channel as well for this purpose. If the band pans out and we start to get more paying gigs, I'll put gig money away towards a nicer tube amp and I can take my time researching and auditioning.

5. DMVGuitar

DMVGuitar Member

You think it is basically the same amp? No differences in voicing? It looks great.

6. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Can't wait to see pics of your new-to-you Peavey Bandit.

7. 6string_highway

6string_highway Member

That's more likely. I prefer the Boss katana 100 compared to other solid state amp ie. peavy bandit. The boss is an all around compact amp and the tones are great if you go bandit you'll have to buy additional pedals for your dirt and efx in which where the fun begins but defeats the purpose of saving extra molaah. I have 2 100 watter mesa amp and plan to get the katana 100 for those quick and rugged shows with out sacrificing tonal options.

8. toddincharlotte

toddincharlotte Supporting Member

And again....Hot Rod Deluxe. They or a variant [Blues Deluxe, Hot Rod DeVille] can be found used regularly for around $400. You can go Peavy but for me, any el84 power section is going to leave you wanting. HRD has some solid iron and a 6L6 platform so you'll have plenty of clean headroom and dirt from the pres if you need it. There's a reason Fender amps are around so many stages across the country.

FWIW I would go Timmy for some dirt and maybe an x2 or even a Mooer Ana Echo for slapback delay

Custom50 likes this.
  9. toddincharlotte

toddincharlotte Supporting Member

Beats a Twin Reverb at 80. Plenty of guys still lugging them to gigs.

10. Custom50

Custom50 Member

Agreed. You also have the option of running an outboard preamp right into the effects loop of you like and plenty of clean power for most gigs.

11. honeyiscool

honeyiscool Member

Which Peavey won't cut it most gigs? What, the Bandit 65? So all the gigs that I did play with it don't count? The Delta Blues? I've seen plenty of live bands use it. Y'all need to broaden your idea of "most gigs" if you think that a 40 watt HRD 1x12" cuts it but a 30 watt Peavey 1x15" or a 65+ watt Peavey 1x12" doesn't.

guitfiddle likes this.
  12. harvey j

harvey j Member

Let me say that doing a country gig playing clean, it ran out of headroom, but it was a breeze for the fender hot rod deluxe.

13. harvey j

harvey j Member

Classic 30.

14. erikzen

erikzen Member

Actually, I did mention I already have pedals, more than enough for my needs. So that's kind of a wash. I'm assuming the Katana would take my pedals just as well the Bandit. Although if i can dial in "my tone" without the pedals, advantage Katana.

15. erikzen

erikzen Member

So far I'm not seeing any great deals for a Bandit. Nothing on my local Craigslist and eBay prices are up around $200 for what's available now. I see a lot of the Transtube version but I'm staying away from that. I found one on sale for $80 but seller claims the reverb is weak. I'll keep looking though.

16. mikebat

mikebat Member

Considering your requirements, and the fact that you are already past the "it has to be tubes" state of mind, Katana and be done with it.

17. Redrum

Redrum Member

Probably best off just getting a Katana 100 combo and run your pedals through the clean channel. The Katana gets loud enough, it's pretty light and gets the job done. I think a tube combo would give you better all around sound, but the Katana sounds pretty good, especially the clean channel. It's also cheap. You could try it and see if it works for you in your new band and simply return it within the usual 30 day return window if it doesn't work out.

18. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

$80 seems more than fair. And a shot of DeOxIt in the reverb knob might help :phones

19. erikzen

erikzen Member

Just got a 20% off coupon from GC. That would make the the Katana 100 $280. Tempting...

20. thebard42

thebard42 Supporting Member

My Ac30cc2 clocks in around 78 lbs before the roadcase. I don't need a gym membership, I just schlep gear.

If you can find one a VHT 12/20 combo (I prefer the non-reverb model) is a sweet little number, and you can put 6L6s in it for more headroom. However, the Katana does seem to have a lot to offer.