1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

New amp hunt - test your skills!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by osostrings, Sep 24, 2006.

1. osostrings

osostrings Supporting Member

I'm doing a new project that has me itching for some new sounds. I'm going to be looking for an amp with the following characteristics, which will be used through a 4x12" loaded with Heritage G12Ms:

1) 40-60 all-tube watts - amp will be unattenuated
    2) PTP wiring, single channel, no master volume
    3) Very touch sensitive - I will not be using pedals - I would like to able to go from clean(ish) to thick crunch via pick attack and volume knob control.
    4) Heavy harmonic content - lots of chewy, juicy overtones while maintaining articulation and clarity at the fundamental
    5) Gigantic sounding - rock tones at the tectonic level - not just loud, but full, rich, and massively thick

Recommendations with elaboration will be greatly appreciated - fire away!

2. trisonic

trisonic Member

Look down a couple of threads: Komet Concorde.

Best, Pete.

3. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

yeah, I'm thinking Komet too.

4. osostrings

I figured Komet would be popping up pretty often. It sounds perfect aside from hefty price tag - I've be spoiled by the comparatively thrifty Dr Z amps for the past couple years. However, I haven't played a Z that fits these particular new needs.

We need Komet scholarships...

Are any of the Wreck-clones viable substitutes?

5. osostrings

Has anybody done any comparisons between these Komets and Germino or Divided by 13? The Lead 55 and the FTR 37 are two other heads that I think might fit the bill - however, other suggestions would be readily digested.

6. sliberty

sliberty Member

Buy a TrainWreck Express from Ceriatone. Nik sells kits, but he also sells completed amps, which I assume is what you are looking for. Technically, its rated at 36 watts, which is just below the low end of your requirement, but believe me, it will be loud enough for you.

The Komets are great, and satisfy your requirements too, but they also cost 4 times as much,

7. osostrings

Has anybody gotten a chance to compare these Ceriatone clones with the Komets?

8. Blueser

Blueser Member

Komet 60
    Komet Concorde
    Mad Professor

9. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

10. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

mmmmm... an old Marshall ;)

11. gururyan

gururyan Member

You aren't too far from Stillwater, OK. I think you would not be wasting time or money by coming up and spending the afternoon at Robert's house playing the assortment of amps he offers. The site isn't all that informative, but he is great to talk to whether by phone or email.

http://www.paletteamps.com/

12. rastaman

rastaman Member

13. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

14. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

The hole thing about an amp needing to be super exspensive before it has Touch Sensitiveness, Lots of Harmonics, and Amasing Tone both Clean and Dirty is a Joke that many have fell prey to. Its a big Popularity Contest. Its like Izod shirts in the Seventies.

You can get this tone from many Amps at way better costs than the latest Popular Craze.

SDG Vintage is just such a Builder. His name is Steve Gupta and is no better than any of the Many other Custom Builders you find mentioned here. The difference is he dosnt believe in trying to sell Magic Fairy Dust.

He uses the Highest Quality Parts Money Can buy and only charges Several Hundred Dollars for his Labor. He uses Mecury Magnetics Trannys, any Type Caps you want, Turret Board Construction etc.....

And yes I just Purchased an SDG Ultraflex which is a JTM 45 Circuit with a few Extras. First off it Runs any Octal Power Tube with only a rebias. Second it has a Variable Slope Control so you can further Tweak How the Amp sounds Tonally. Third it has Jensen Paper in oil Caps so it has the Clarity of Amps costing 10 Times as much. All for less than my House Payment. Imagine that. Wuh Whooo Whoopty do!

I'm not running for Class President over at the High School of Tone though. There are many Amps out there that will do what you want for way less Money than what gets Talked about around here day in and day out.

OK Im done ranting now.

Here is the Cool Amp I just bought. Its Pictured with a set of KT88's in it and a Vintage 30. Sounds awsome.
    http://www.sdgvintage.com/sdgvintage/amps/sdg45/SDG45.asp

15. grafbar

grafbar Member

I like how Red Planet put it. good tone is good tone, by why does the fairy dust have to be the most costly feature?

many of the good builders today will listen intently to your needs. most have good sound clips of their work, and some will even ship you a working sample to demo.

I'm extremely happy with my new trainwreck clone, it has all the features you described, single volume design, the guy found me some old 59' output tranny thats beyond massive (physically and sonically)..

..without the fairy dust price
    good luck
    Chris

16. Wheels

Wheels Gold Supporting Member

I agree.

I bought/recommend a used Clark MTC-45. Price was right. And it kicks.

Wheels

17. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

I'm reading some hip stuff on Savage amplifiers..anyone hip to them ?

18. pureoldsound

pureoldsound Member

Komet (Concorde or Connie)
    Voodoo amps V-Reck
    Ceriatone Wreck clone
    Fuchs Train 45
    Paul Ruby Express
    Two Rock Ruby (if you can find one)

I have a clone that it's identical to a real Express. I've played other clones that were based on the design, but never tried a replica. Trust me if you want touch sensitive go with an express like amp. I know that on the Komet forum the clips of the Concorde and the real express don't sound too alike (the connie sounds more like and express) but there are lots of similarities between an Express and the Concorde.

19. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

Custom By Cougar Hawk, I love mine does EXACTLY what you ask for. THe Komet Concorde would probably work as well even if it is a bit more expensive than the Cougar. (www.custombycougar.com)

20. mlynn02

mlynn02 Supporting Member

how about the fargen VOS?