New amp - Koch Classictone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jero, Jan 12, 2006.

1. jero

jero Member

After playing an old Super Reverb for years and changing od pedals with an increasing and alarming frequency I decided it was time for something a bit more advanced in terms of channels, fx loop etc. I ended up with a Koch Classictone 4x10, To my surprise (and after owning it for 2 months, so honeymoon is over ;)) I like the clean actually better than the Super Reverb clean and the drive channel is to die for; not too much gain but if you like vintage sounds this is your amp!!

Question to the Us of A TGP members, how well known is Koch in the USA? Any USA Koch users on TGP perhaps?

[​IMG]

2. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I loved the Twintone I had a couple of years ago. I moved it because I wanted a different flavor of clean - more of a Vox/EL84 chime thing. I loved the lead tones. But now, I'd pick up another if I were in the market. How heavy is yours?

jon

3. woude

woude Member

Another dutchie here. I own the 2x10" classictone. Loving it! I don't like the other koch amps except when they go trough celestion speakers. Fell in love with the silky treble and beautifull dynamics of this amp.

You say that the cleans are even better than the super reverb... suprising! There is a discussion about this on a dutch gear forum (you know - gitaarnet.nl) which clean sounds better. A lot of people find that the koch doesn´t fill the room and sounds boxy. I can´t understand why, mine at least fills an entire hall with sound if it has to... Other people like it better than the super. The overdrive is untouchable for the super ofcourse!

Try the direct recording out. You'll be suprised!

4. svanangen

svanangen Member

Very nice amp! I am eagerly waiting for one of the first Twintone II's to hit Sweden next week.

5. Roe

Roe Member

I prefer fenders over the classictone. I've posted some clips on this page lately of a multitone and a celestion alnico blue and a weber 10a150

6. woude

woude Member

which ones and why.? (just curious)

Personally I think none of the RI fenders come close. They sound dull and flat and undynamic clean and the overdrive channels (if they have one) are really bad imo. Vintage fenders maybe. I only Heard some, and they where horrible, but it's save to assume that there are vintage fenders that outclass this amp 10 times. I know that a custom shop Vibro King is a bit better, altough it costs three times as much here and has a weird tremmolo, a weird fxloop and one channel less. That will maybe be my next amp :) but aside from that one, yuk, waaay no.

7. Roe

Roe Member

I've heard a few very good super reverbs - esp. old ones with original jensens. But the koch and fenders sound so different that it is to a large degree a question of taste. To me, even a new 2 ch. fender concert sounded better than a classictone.

8. Ricker

Ricker Member

I've got one of the new twintone II........I also have a multitone 100 head.
    I got mine from Hari at Custom-sounds.
    Wanna know about the twintone..just ask

rick

9. Roe

Roe Member

how does the sound of the twintone II differ from the first twintone?

10. woude

woude Member

The new twintone II sounds better on the overdrive channels to me, less compressed and less 'fizzy' high end. I didn't play them long enough to tell you more... :eek:

11. Ricker

Ricker Member

never played the twintone so I can't compare..but was told that the II series is the same except for an extra lower drive option which is the OD channel and the OD+ channel on the twintone II being the same as the twintone I OD channel

Rick

12. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

I love the Classictone I have a 2x10.
    The versatility is awesome and the sound is great.
    Me I like the OD sound, the cleans aren't as good as I can get from a 6L6 powered amp like a lot of Fenders. But it is pretty close.
    With all the awesome options on it, it just is a killer combo to own.

13. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

Yes totally agree Asle!

No similarity in my opinion. In fact the Koch Multitone wil always rank in the top two worst amps I have owned. I hated that amp.Have not tried a classic tone but suspect I would hate it just knowing how bad the Multitone sucked, IMHO.

14. Roe

Roe Member

Agree on that

15. Roe

Roe Member

What was the problem with the multitone? Sterile clean sound on ch 1?

16. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

Sterile cleans-to me, the mid gain was very average and the high gain very hollow and buzzy with a woofy low end. They sent one to Scott Henderson and he thought something was wrong as it sounded so bad so Koch sent him new tubes and no difference. Then I heard one again at Tone Merchants and at least they are consistent. I also thought the tolex work on mine was fairly cheesy. Just my opinion of course.

17. Roe

Roe Member

ch. 1 can be sterile, but loud volume, good pups and speakers helps alot.
    Mid gain is only good at HIGH volumes IMHO. The distortion channel has a buzzy sound - esp. with a high prescence setting - that some love and others hate. I haven't had problem with a woofy low end. But I like to keep the bass at 2-3 and use a bogner 2x12 OS with a g12h-55hz clone.

18. Ricker

Ricker Member

Whew......that bad hey??
    I must say I really dig my Multitone....it's had many gigs,many compliments and lots of studio time.
    I think it sounds wonderful with my bogner 2x12 OS with v30s...the drive channel smokes ...and is also wonderfully uncompressed.
    back off on the pick and the gain backs down nicely.
    I agree that the clean is a bit sterile and stiff............but it starts to juice if you get the volume up.
    I run my multitone with a Hotplate and it sounds killer

I have no woofy low-end and no buzzy top-end....My bogner shiva which I sold had way more fizz and woof than the multitone........so go figure..he he he
    i've got a budda sd80 too..(but that amp is another story......very smooth)

cheers
    Rick

19. woude

woude Member

The multitone is not my favorite amp, but it's not bad by any means imo. Actually I like it better than any orange, bogner, diezel and mesa boogie I ever played... but how come Paul Reed Smith, Al dimeola and Blues Saraceno like it so much that it's their main amp? I guess we all hear thing VERY different... ;-)

The tolex work on all kochs is actually some of the best I've seen. Weird.

20. Stringkiller

Stringkiller Member

My name is Bruce Stringkiller of the Dr Pickup and Les Bluesmakers bands based in Paris. Koch amps are worth trying out - you may find yourself suprised!

Soundclips on web site and my space
    http://www.drpickup.com
    including 21 concerts dates in South Carolina

Other soundclips
    http://www.myspace.com/drpickup
    Prs HB thru Koch Studiotone
    and The Waiting blues, Tore Down and Fishing
    Tokai LP (Bareknuckle PG pickups) thru Koch Twintone

Les Bluesmakers soundclips
    ES 335 TDN thru Koch Studiotone and DrZ mini Z
    http://www.myspace.com/lesbluesmakers

Hope to meet some of you in the US and at our Paris shows
    Schedule http://www.drpickup.com/datevo.html
    and for all your GAS addicts have a look at
    http://www.drpickup.com/guitars/guitars.html

The Studiotone has become my main amp for club and pub gigs - lots of sounds and easy on the back.

Looking forward to your comments and feedback and to having fun and learning in this Forum.

Bruce Stringkiller
    PS Sorry this post is like my intro - Also I see that some Internet sales outlets have slashed their prices on Koch - see Google I'm no their salesman ;-)