1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

New amp! Marshall Silver Jubilee 2555

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ziggy Stardust, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust Member

Wohoo, I've finaly got myself a "new" amp. Finaly I got myself a Marshall stack! On Sunday Im going to go and pick up my "new" Marshall Silver Jubilee 2555 with a 2551A cab. The only problem is that it need new tubes, and I've never had a tube amp before so I don't know what kind of tubes Im gonna get. Correct me if Im wrong but its 4 EL34 and 3 12AX7's? So I need help for that one. ;) Anyway.. Can't wait till I get this rigged and plug my Les Paul in it! I just hope I'll fit it in the trunk of my VW Golf.

I'll come back later with pictures. :)

Anyone else who has any experiense with this amp?

2. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

i like winged svets in the power section and EH12AX7'S in the pre on marshalls*value for money wise*.....i had mine converted to 6550's and never looked back.
    welcome to the 2555 club

3. clothwiring

clothwiring Member

I run EH's through my 2555e. In fact I also run all EHs through my 2558 as well.

Not a good shot but what the hey....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

Stocker here, SIEMENS or RFT EL-34 all the way for me. That's what they shipped and the amp was designed around or available at the time. Chinese phase inverter stock & two russians stock. Substitute the russians with something else but I would use the stock replacements for the rest if you want to experience the amp as it was shipped new. Still cheap and still available are the RFTs.

5. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

I prefer the Sovtek 12AX7WB and JJ E34L for my 2555.

6. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

I vote JJ El34 or E34L's

How much did you pay?

CONGRATS! GREAT AMP CHOICE!

7. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust Member

In US $ I think it will be around $900.

Whats the difference between EL34 and EL34L?

8. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust Member

Finally got it!

Oh my God! I have never heard an amp sound like this. It's just amazing.
    It's propably the best Marshall I've ever played. You can't discribe the sound from this amp!

I tried to take a couple of pics. They turned out pretty bad but better than nothing. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Are you saying that you got this entire rig for $900.00 US????

That is incredi......err, you know..I am feeling a bit philanthropic today.....

I will give you $1,100.00 US for it and I will pay shipping!

Sssso, what do you say??

M.E.

10. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust Member

Heh yes, I got the whole rig for ca $900 US. And no I'm not selling it.

Damn, I love this amp so much. It needs new tubes though.

11. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

In my experience, that is literally HALF of the going rate, at least!

Nice score, enjoy!

M.E.

12. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

Owned a jube for a while.Played it thru a vintage 30 4X12. Sounded like ass and that dual master /boost controll is wacky. Half power switch is fun to flick once in a while but never used in the real world. Don't get me wrong, They dont all sound bad...Just want people to know that just because the plunk down a grand doesnt mean they are going to get instant tone nivana. Buyer beware!

13. Ironman

Ironman Member

Congrats! The Jubilee has been my main amp for over a decade. I've tried and keep trying other amps but there is just something so special about the Jubilee. It sounds great with a lot of different speakers but I feel the best match are V30's. Forget about trying to use her as a channel switcher, just crank that output master above 6 and enjoy the ride!

I like Ruby/Shuguang EL34B's or Svets for pwr. and a mullard in V1 and Ei's in V2 & V3.

14. glman

glman Member

I've also owned a lot of marshalls and find the jubilee/Slash to be the best sounding Marshall to my ears - I'm using my Slash head with a 4x14 G12M ( 25 watt) greenback cab and it absolutely kills!!

15. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust Member

I bought myself new tubes today. Electro Harmonix EL34's and Sovtek 12ax7.
    But I don't know if I have to adjust the bias? The orginal tubes is still in the Marshall because If I know I have to adjust it I'll rather wait and get it done at the same time. Does anyone know?

16. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

You'll have to bias the power tubes.

17. Ironman

Ironman Member

Definitely get the bias adjusted/checked with new tubes. If you don't know how to do it, get a tech to do it for you. It's a fairly easy thing to do with a bias probe and multimeter and a lot of caution.

The EH's have a sweet tone, very nice high end but aren't the ballsiest in a 2555, it'll still have a lot of balls though...Jub's just can't help not being ballsy.

18. Traintrack

Traintrack Coolest Member Award Aug 2009 Silver Supporting Member

Don't you have an AMP tech? Somtimes a new tube is not the issue. There are many things that can lead to a problem. When I buy amp like yours, I spend the money and have someone go over the amp and make sure there are no issues.

I played an original SJ 100 watter for a few years. Great AMP!

19. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust Member

Heh, it definitely need new tubes. They have been in for ages. I can't see or hear any other problems with the amp. It's seems to be in a good condition. But yes, Im gonna bring it to an amptech when I can afford. I've found an radioguy who can make an bias adjustment for me but not before in a week or something.

It's not that fun to sit and look at your Marshall you can't play.

I've replaced the tubes but I don't dare to try to swtihc it on before I've made that stupid bias adjustment :p

20. 2555SL

2555SL Member

YUP! +100! That's my Slash in the background. I'll have to dissagree with sugarlou. Tonal nirvana does indeed await the lucky few.

Congrats on your new rig!

[​IMG]