New amp, now I need new pedals! Gabriel Voxer 18

tstaires

So I picked up a new amp the other day (Gabriel Voxer 18 w/ 2x12 cab), and now I'm dissatisfied with my current overdrive pedals. I was using a Fender Blues Jr. w/ a Jensen speaker, and running a Twin Tube inline with a AnalogMan moded TS9dx. The set up sounded pretty good, but the amp seem a little boxy at lower levels. Any way here's my situation... The Voxer sounds amazing, but the pedals I have seem to really color the amps natural tone. What I'm looking for is a great sounding boost and an overdrive that will sound great without coloring the amps already great tone. Being a worship leader, I'm mainly a rhythm player so I don't need anything for solos or lead work. I'm currently using a LP Junior w/ stock P-90s and also a LP Stanard w/ 57 classics. At this time I seem to like the Marshall channel over the Vox channel, but I'm still kinda dialing in what I want from the Vox side. I'm also thinking about an A/B/Y switch as well.

I've tried some pedals already but still searching for something better. Last night I tried a good friend of mines OCD (which might be a good option for OD), and his GT-500 (which was ok, but no with this amp).

So all you worship leaders, gabby users, and tone experts help me out in my quest for tone! Thanks to all.

GuitarDude

hey man. thats a killer amp! a friend of mine has one in the head version. you've got a winner there man.

when I think good driven rhythm tone I immediatly think fulldrive. It doesn't have enough gain for "screamin leads" but it can kill some rhythm tones. I play worship music primarily and I use the fulldrive for pretty much everything other than leads. I use a barber small fry for leads.

My friend who has the same amp runs a Timmy. It sounds pretty killer. Gives it some edge and crunch but doesn't muddy your tone up.

Those would be my two recommendations for OD.

I use a fulltone fat boost and I love it to death. It's on pretty much all the time.

tstaires

I tried a FD2 a couple of months ago with a different amp and didn't like it, but maybe it's time to revisit it. Also, I heard also about the Menatone Red Snapper and the Fat Boost as well. We have a Fulltone dealer in town, I might have to go check some more of his stuff out.

Any one out there with a Red Snapper and a Voxer or maybe a Vox type amp?

dave s

I take it the amp is an EL-84 powered VOX clone? If so, chances are good the pedals you use with the Fender aren't going to match up perfectly!

Some pedals that have worked great with my EL-84 amps include:

Gas Pedal Carb; Hot Cake; RC & AC Boost pedals; Crunch Box (great dist pedal for my little VOX AC15!); Analogman Sunface Fuzz; P'Mint Fuzz.

Have fun with that new amp. Bet it's killer with a 212 cab!

dave

speed12

As far as I can remember the Voxer is based on an AC15 so what dave_s mentioned I would say would be right.

My experience with an AC15 is the Barber Ltd, Fulldrive and Subdecay Stupid Box. I use all three in a worship band and they seem to fit perfectly. The Ltd is great if you want to run the Voxer clean(ish) and then add a wee bit more drive, the stupid box is brilliant for crunchy rhythm and then I kick in the FD in comp cut for a lead boost...all works rather well!

Let us know more about the Voxer, I'm looking at one for a possible AC15 replacement!

voxer

hey - welcome to the Voxer club....the first thing I did after I got mine was take my Full-Drive 2 off my board because it became useless with all the OD tones I was getting from the amp itself - plus it cut the bass so much it was annoying. One of the best things you can do is pickup a nice clean booster to gain things up a bit and keep it sounding like your amp. Mine's on 24/7. As far as pedals go, the one that did manage to keep it's job is the Barber Direct Drive - I still love it.

And don't forget your speakers will continue to mellow with use.

tstaires

I can't say it enough. The voxer sounds fantastic. You can't make this thing sound bad. I can wait to get this thing in the studio, so I can crank it up and let it shine.

It seems like a lot of guys on the page love the Barber stuff, so I'm definitely going to try the LTD and the Direct drive. Also, I was researching on the Cochrane Tim pedal, and had heard some good reviews from a friend of mine who had one but replaced it with a Gaspedal Carb. I think my search is really narrowing down. I do really like the idea of the Tim having the extra boost maybe for times I need just a little extra without going overboard. Then maybe using something for the heavier parts (maybe an OCD or something of that nature)

I will say this my Empress Tremolo has never sounded better. If any of you guys out there are hesitating on buying one, take the plunge you won't regret it.

my reccomendations

pretty much anything BJFE (spendy, but great...EGDM, HB, RRB, SBEQ are currently on my board)
Mad Professor ( LGW, and SBOD)
Gaspedals Carb (Great sparkle inducing boost and great drive capabilities...very versitile)
Menatone (Red Snapper/Blue Collar/Foxy Brown/TBIAC)
Tim/Timmy
Barber (Burn Unit or Small Fry)
anything germ based, treble boosts, mosfet, and more even eq range usually makes friends with a Vox-based circuit.

congrats on the voxer btw, those look and sound pretty stellar!

...and several weeks later...:D

just found this thread; thought i'd chime in. as i have stated several times before on this board, i own two Voxers: 18w head w/ 212 closed back slant cab, and a 33w 212 combo (AC30 style).

pedals i do NOT love with the Voxer: barber direct drive, xotic ac booster, fulltone full-drive 2, boss sd-1

pedals i absolutely LOVE with the Voxer: Nobels ODR-1, Xotic RC Booster, ProAnalog Dual Drive, Menatone Workingman's Blue, ProCo RAT2, BYOC Mighty Mouse (RAT clone, built for me by Gabi!!), ZVex Box of Rock, MI Audio Blues Pro (especially in fuzz mode), Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive (as a clean boost).

tstaires, did you end up finding any pedals you like with your Voxer?
Really not full-drive 2? I have a VOX ac30 TB and love the FD2...

TheFlash

Not too surprising to me...people with identical amps aren't necessarily going for the same OD sound :)

tstaires

I've now has a chance to try out quite a few pedals but I'm still missing something.

I tried the Fulltone fatboost, the Xotic RC and AC boots, Keeley Java Boost, GT500, Distortion Pro, OCD, the new Tube King, Sitori Sonics Brownies and Cream, Keeley TS9dx, and the Seymour Duncan Twin tube

I've kind of settled with and Xotic AC+ for boost and mid range dirt but still looking into other options. What I'm really missing is something that really sounds close to what my Voxer sounds like on 10. And suggestions? The Zvex Box of Rock seems promising.

I'm mainly a rhythm player that leads worship so pedals that would sound good for the pop to modern rock genera.

voxer

hmmm....and i kinda like my direct drive on mine - i rarely use it, because i use the amp and a clean boost most of the time.

K.E.P.

my buddy uses an eternity and a keeley blues driver and it sounds awesome with his voxer.

Just a stunning amp.

KEP

tstaires

So I think I'm going to dive in head first and just order a Zvex BoR and a Paul Cochrane Tim. From what I'm seeing you can't go wrong with these pedals. I'm still up for any more suggestions though.

Trending Topics