New amp, now time to get some pedals and create a pedalborad..Help!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rmccoyor9, Dec 25, 2009.

1. rmccoyor9

rmccoyor9 Member

Just got a Fender Bassman 59 Reissue for Christmas and love it. I'm looking to buy some pedals and build my own pedal board. This is somewhat new territory for me because I've been stuck with a small practice amp with built in effects.

I've already got a Dunlop Jimi Wah and a Boss SD-1 (Monte Allums Mod), and a family friend that builds cabinets is willing to make me a board at no cost.

I play a lot of blues (Clapton, Hendrix, BB, Buddy, John Mayer, etc.), Southern Rock (Allman Bro's, Kings of Leon), Garage rock (White Stripes, Raconteurs, and the Strokes), and a little bit of classic rock (the Who, Led Zep.).

I've got about $250 to spend, but a birthday coming up in January. I'm not hesitant at all of buying used. Any suggestions on how to approach this thing would be great. Thanks!

2. ReginaldBisquet

ReginaldBisquet Member

Germanium fuzz would be my first consideration. You've got an excellent overdrive and wah pedal. If the '59 doesn't have reverb, then checking into those as well. That's it.

3. rmccoyor9

rmccoyor9 Member

Have you heard anything about CheeseBlocks Phoenix Fuzz? I saw one on Ebay and it has a Germanium and Silicon transistor. Buy it now was $90 and another auction was on there too and was about at $40.

Sadly the Bassman doesn't have verb.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  4. clc12rock

clc12rock Member

I'd get a RAT. I've played one into a '59 BMRI and it sounded superb. You can get a used RAT2 for cheap in the emporium. And if you like the tone, you can upgrade to a Big Box down the road for pretty cheap too.

You might wanna check out a TubeScreamer or TS clone if you don't like your SD-1, but you should be fine with the SD-1. A TS is kinda the industry standard for OD and a different beast than the RAT. A TS can also be had for pretty cheap in the emporium.

Then you can start looking at delay pedals. I have an MXR Carbon Copy which is my first delay and I'd say it's a good place to start. Something else you might wanna look into is a compressor, I'd probably go with a DynaComp. You can probably find the Carbon Copy and the DynaComp in the emporium too for pretty cheap.

If you still have cash left over, I'd get a 1Spot power supply and/or a mod pedal like a phaser, chorus or tremolo. But I think they sell all of these pedals at Guitar Center, so go there and try them out and then buy them on the emporium for a lot cheaper! :Devil:Devil

5. rmccoyor9

rmccoyor9 Member

Thanks so much for the help! I'll definatley check them out.

6. dhouser3

dhouser3 Member

I think clc12rock is right on track. I would say sit down and think of exactly what kind of sounds you want first, then start buying. I started buying before I knew what types of sounds I wanted and ended up spending alot of money flipping gear. Good to see another Knoxvillian by the way. Shoot me a PM or something if you want to meet up sometime and I'll let you try some of my gear to help get your sound since we have very similar music styles.

7. rmccoyor9

rmccoyor9 Member

I bought my last two pedals on ebay because I got great deals but I'm bound to get a dud. I just can't stand to go into the Knox GC for more than 5 minutes hahah and Pick n' grin is out of the way. But I'll PM you sometime about checking out gear.

8. huskerjohn

huskerjohn Member

Your rig with the Monte Allum SD-1 should be a good base.

This has been mentioned above, and agree you may want to think about reverb, delay and fuzz. This is the order that I would approach your pedal expansion:

It would blow a large part of your budget, but the EHX DMM would be a great snag for a delay. A used carbon copy can be found for about $100.

A fuzz would be my next purchase. The bands you mention cover a lot of ground, wo one fuzz won't cover all the bases. A good silicon or germanium fuzz face clone would be my choice. You can get a good used Hartman or MJM fuzz for just over $100. The pedals will stack exceptionally well with your SD1.

Reverb is a tough one for me because I haven't found a decent reverb in a pedal yet. The boss RV3 and RV5 are OK in the bedroom, but don't sound authentic at stage volume when an amp is pushed. I use my DMM set real low in the mix sometimes and this passes as a decent enough reverb sound.

9. Grap

Grap Member

A RAT and some sort of wobble box (modulation effect) would be my personal recommendation. Something that can manage a decent Leslie Sim and trem, like a Line 6 Modulation Modeler or the Boss equivalent? If you want to say old school then the Ibanez Analog Chorus would be a good place to start.

But the RAT's a given, trust me on this ;)

10. Leonardo

Leonardo Member

Get a solderless cable kit (Lava, George L, Bill Lawrence), power supply (Voodoo Labs PP2+ or ISO5) and pedal tuner (Sonic Research, Korg, Peterson, Boss). Then start adding more pedals.

11. clc12rock

clc12rock Member

BORING!!! :)

12. rmccoyor9

rmccoyor9 Member

I can't find a reverb that I like in my price range.
    I'm looking at the EHX memory Boy or Ibanez AD-9 for delay, and for fuzz I'm probably gonna end up with the CheeseBlocks Phoenix Fuzz.
    As for power supply and cables I'm still not sure on anything.

13. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

If I were you, I'd try and extend your budget enough to snag a used Line6 m9. Put that after your wah and OD, and you'll have a super versatile and compact rig that includes a tuner and looper.

But if you really want to stay under $250 or really don't want to go the modeling route, I'd recommend trying to find a used Ibanez DE-7 delay pedal for around $40. It can be used as a reverb substitute and would give you $210ish to spend on 2 other pedals (fuzz/tuner, fuzz/modulation, tuner/modulation or however you decide to go.)