New Amp - Passive (unbuffered) loop?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mkl13, Sep 26, 2008.

1. mkl13

mkl13 Silver Supporting Member

I just got a new amp that has a passive or unbuffered effects loop - I guess it is really just a pre-out and power-in jacks. My current rig has a Fulltone choral flange>EH Deluxe MM> Boss EQ pedal. I am getting a large volume drop and loss of highs when the above mentioned pedals are plugged in the loop. I could put the flange and delay in front of the amp but really like having the boss eq in the loop as a solo boost.

My question is: Do i need to buy a dumbelator style loob\p box to make my loop work correctly or could having a combination of buffered pedals in the loop solve my problems? The amp is currently at our rehersal space so I am looking for some ideas....also we have gigs tonight and tomorrow and would really like to use the new amp!

2. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

3. mkl13

mkl13 Silver Supporting Member

Yep, I emailed Nik about ordering a Kleinulator. Any suggestions on getting the loop going for my gigs this weekend? Will adding a buffered pedal to the front of the loop signal chain help? I guess in this case that would mean switching the choralflange from true bypass mode to buffered.

4. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Put a high quality clean boost at the end of chain before it goes back to the return jack. You can even keep the Clean boost on top of your amp.

Another option - Buy a Time factor and put it in you effects loop at the end of the chain - fool around with in out switches on the back - they both are capable of +4 db in boost,...you can get that effects loop making you amp/signal even LOUDER when you have things in it if wanted ( plus you'll be getting one of the greatest delay on the market :) )

5. Andre357

Andre357 Member

also , which amps are you talking about ?? I'm looking at year sig and just curious :)

6. hamfist

hamfist Member

Try putting any buffered pedal on a 6 inch cable straight out from the FX send at the start of your loop. The pedal needs to be powered but doesn't need to be on, as it's bypass will be buffered. Then you will only have 6" of loop which is unbuffered. That pedal will then help to buffer the rest of the loop, and should hopefully reduce tone-suckage very considerably.
    It's not an ideal solution, but may well make the loop very useable in the short term.