New amp please!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Nevada240, May 25, 2015.

1. Nevada240

Nevada240 Member

I always leaned towards Fender cleans until when recently I picked up and Mesa F-30 for smaller gigs and practice. I dont know if it's the EL84's opposed to the 6L6's but I love the clean tone on the Mesa, it's so much warmer and creamier tone than the Fenders, ive been looking for that tone forever...I'm just amazed at the difference!! So now I'm looking for a head to go with a cab I have, I guess something with awesome warm clean tone, similar to the Mesa. I'm thinking 30-50 watts with reverb. My price range is no higher than $1,200 new or used. Can anybody give me some good recommendations please? Thanks so much!!

2. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

Mesa amps started out as modded Fender amps.... So a lot of the sound is still based around Fender amps, there are several exceptions, but the F series is still what I'd call "Fender"-ish sounding.

The EL84's probably give you something different than you're used to, so it may very well be the Fender-ish circuit being pushed by EL84's that you like?

I know this is going to come out, way in left field here. But the Genz Benz Black Pearl is a good versatile amp with some Fender tones and Vox tones in the same amp, depending on how you dial it in? You can also find a head for around $500.

Another great amp to look into is the Dr Z Maz Jr or Maz Sr..... Reminds me of the perfect mix of Fender/Vox and the mid control can get you really scooped(like a Fender) or pretty mid-rangy (like a Vox). I will say, by itself it may have a mid frequency that you "don't like" or say it "sounds boxy", but that's the nature of the amp. Once you put it in a mix (band or recording), you'll realize how GREAT this amp sounds and why that mid-range is so prominent. It's the whole magic of the amp and I think is a lot of his "secret sauce" with several of his amps. The only reason I didn't mention this 1st, is because the Genz Benz may be more "pleasing" and match what you are looking for a little better.

I also bet you could find a Mesa Lonestar Special?? Those are considered one of Mesa's best clean amps (as well as the Lonestar Classic), and I like the crunch channel quite a bit too. Basically a Fender circuit being pushed by EL84's.... Plus you get a solo boost, great reverb and the Mesa FX loop (some love, some hate). I've seen the head go for $800-$1000 used, combo's not much more.

Just my $.02 worth ;)

Nevada240 likes this.
  3. AD1982

AD1982 Member

The older Mesa DC series have better cleans than the newer F-series and Express.

Nevada240 likes this.
  4. Nevada240

Nevada240 Member

Thats just crazy for me to think that Mesa's were were/are based off Fenders. To me they sound like night and day. I've only ever used Super and Twin Reverbs so I can't speak for all Fender amps but that kind of "piercing" shrill high end that is so apparent (IMO) is totally gone with the Mesa and that's what I love. I never could seem to dial that out of the Fenders. So I'm guessing that's to do with the EL-84's? I'm looking into the Dr. Z amps now, thanks!!