New amp questions (Valvetech vs. ?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TheGuildedAge, Jun 13, 2006.

1. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

I am all set to order a Hayseed with the EF86 option. Not crazy about the wait though, 5 months.

Are there any other heads or combos out there for under $1300 new or used that can get me the Vox tone. I don't need an exact replica of the Edge, but I find 6L6s boring and I have my EL34s covered. I want the El84 chime.

Any suggestions. I was thinking Dr. Z Maz, VHT Pitbull 45s, RC Davis?

Thanks,

Bryan

2. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    If you want Vox tone in a head without a five month wait and for less than $1300, how about the AC30CCH -- the head version of the AC30CC. The price is well below your ceiling and it's a very nice amp. No ef-86 option though. If that's important, I can tell you that the Hayseed is well worth the wait.

3. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

I really don't want the Custom Classic. I have had bad luck with Korg products, and for personal reasons would much rather support smaller builder like Rob. If the Hayseed is that good, I will wait I guess.

I am curious about the Maz Sr.'s from Z though.

4. bscepter

bscepter Member

I think the Z's have an EF86 - which separates the Hayseed from the Vox's, in my opinion.

5. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    Keep in mind that Z may have his own wait list issues with the passing of his top assistant/electrician.

6. arniez

arniez Supporting Member

The Maz Sr has no ef86. the only 2 Z amps that have el84's and an ef86 in them are the RxEs and the StangRay. The latter is the closer of the 2 to an AC30, but of course has it's own Z thing!
    ArnieZ

7. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    Heritage Briton II head is in the upper end (& usually a little beyond) that price neighborhood, but for the money you get what you want plus an 18w Marshall (only 30w ;)), and you get to blend the sounds to come up with your own :D

never tried one, but seems a good thing to me - unless you're as old as i am :eek:

have tried a couple 1x12 combos, loved 'em. pretty Vox-y. interesting how Fender-y they can get. great reverb. great amp.

:cool:

8. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

occasionally a hayseed comes up in the emporium, be ready to jump.....NO mine won't be up there, it's too good.

9. Mark C

Mark C Member

Only one I know of is the AC30CC Head, but it doesn't have the EF86. Try one out at a local store, if it does it for you, problem solved, if not, then put down the deposit for the hayseed. Good luck.

10. tralfax19645

tralfax19645 Member

Hi,
    I just took delivery of a CC head and direct side by side compared it to the hayseed. As I suspected to be the case there are only a couple of real differences in tone to my ears. The master on the Hayseed works much better than the VOX in my opinion. The hayseed lets the cut control work full range no matter where the master is set, the CC cut conrtol was less effective the lower I set the master.
    The CC has a nicer taper on the treble control than the hayseed (heyboer) has when the cut is full up. For better or worse, they hayseed has a wider range on the cut control,it WILL add more high(to some, not a good thing,) but will cut more. You can get the same taper with th HS but you will have to run the cut about a 1/4 lower. Also you can go get a CC today if you want, no wait.
    The cc also says VOX on it, which is a big deal to some folks. I understand, I used to feel the sameway about all my gear saying fender on it. The CC is a VOX no way around it.
    The biggie is the EF 86, it is almost unfair. I would sure like to find an old AC 30 /4 to compare it against. I was going to make up an ef86 kit for the cc, but with its master, it would not work that good at low volume Im afraid.
    Anyway you look at it VOX has to be commended for making this amp so nice for the money.
    I think you win with either if you are looking for the Top Boost tone. I really dont know what all the uproar is about between these 2 amps.
    Theres my 2cents.
    Rob

11. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Hey, that's cool you checked it out and posted your opinions, which are quite positive.

Oh how I long for my Hayseed 15.:BOUNCE
    :)

Any word on the transformers coming in?

12. tralfax19645

tralfax19645 Member

power transformers came today for the 15 watt amps. Still waiting on the OTs
    Rob

13. bscepter

bscepter Member

Once again, I agree with Rob. I've owned a CC (combo - 2x12 Wharfies) and now own a Hayseed (Head: EF86, MM Woden OT/Choke, Cab: 2x12 Cel.Blues). I'll say again: both are great amps. Both do the JMI thing better than just about anything that's been available since the sixties. BUT, the availability of the EF86 makes the Hayseed more worthwhile, in my opinion. (That, and it's hand-made and can be configured in any number of ways).

As Rob said, Vox/Korg should be commended for making an affordable amp of that caliber. And, as always, I'll say that Vox's customer service is second to none - a rare thing for a large company.

BUT, if you can stand the wait, the Hayseed isn't too much more expensive than the Vox, and it gives you more tonal options while preserving the '63 JMI top boost circuit - the best of many worlds.

14. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

:drool

Oh the OT wait. It's cruel, I tells ya! ;)