• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

New Amp Recommendations

Jeremy A

Hey everyone,

I'm currently in the process of looking for a new amp. I play a wide variety of different music, but mostly P&W. I have a Tele with a P90 in the neck and a vintage tele single coil in the bridge. I like to use my fuzz pedal for all of my dirt needs, and then use my guitar's volume knob to control the amount of gain. So, I would set the amp at the edge of break up (completely clean when strummed lightly and almost low gain when I dig in). So my Tele is fairly bright and my fuzz is dark, so I'm wanting the amp to be bright, but full sounding if that makes sense. What do you guys recommend?

And I don't want an extremely loud amp. Suggestions?

Jeremy A

What amp are you currently playing? Also, how would you like a new amp to be different tonally from your current one?
Well, a few months ago, I had to sell my amp to help pay for school, so I have been borrowing amps for quite some time. I've been using anything from a Vox AC15, AC4tv, a Laney amp, and a VHT amp. I've landed a great job so I just bought my new tele (which is incredible!) and now I'm wanting to get an amp of my own again to pair with it.

Jeremy A

So in short, Im looking for a bright but full & fat sounding amp to pair with my tele (equipped with a P90 in the neck & vintage single coil in the bridge) that would be set at edge of break up and go great with a thick fuzz pedal.

dwoverdrive

Silver Supporting Member
Absolutely go with a Fender Deluxe Reverb. Bright and full is a perfect way to describe them. Just a clear full sound at any volume, should take your fuzz very well and teles sound fantastic with them. A Fender amp is really what you are describing and the Deluxe would work great. There are some Mesa Boogie combos worth looking into that could give up the goods if you are someone who doesnt mind tweaking the amp a bit.

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
I'd absolutely go vox style ...or cathode bias EL84 anyway.

My ideas would be...

Dr Z Carmen Ghia (or if you could wrangle an old mazerati)
Even the AC15C1 sound pretty damn good.
sometimes the 90's vox ac15's show up used, and those are whipass.

Might look at a morgan, but I've never played one.

Another that intrigues me is the 3rd power stuff. He's got a few vox based circuits.

Matchless or badcat 15 watts with EL84's would work great for you.

Really depends on your budget.

Jeremy A

I'd absolutely go vox style ...or cathode bias EL84 anyway.

My ideas would be...

Dr Z Carmen Ghia (or if you could wrangle an old mazerati)
Even the AC15C1 sound pretty damn good.
sometimes the 90's vox ac15's show up used, and those are whipass.

Might look at a morgan, but I've never played one.

Another that intrigues me is the 3rd power stuff. He's got a few vox based circuits.

Matchless or badcat 15 watts with EL84's would work great for you.

Really depends on your budget.
Ya I've always played Vox amps for the most part and I love them. They do the edge of breakup thing so well. The Jackson Newcastle, Morgan Abbey and Morgan 10pm all look great. Would those do edge of breakup well or would they breakup too fast? And should I be looking into top boost style or normal channel vox amps for my rig?

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
Ya I've always played Vox amps for the most part and I love them. They do the edge of breakup thing so well. The Jackson Newcastle, Morgan Abbey and Morgan 10pm all look great. Would those do edge of breakup well or would they breakup too fast? And should I be looking into top boost style or normal channel vox amps for my rig?
depends on how much high end 'chime' you want. I like normal channel vox myself. Probably be more a pedal platform amp for you. Don't discount the Z stuff. Maybe an M12.

Maybe check out a Bad Cat Judah? It's got an EF86 channel which would be killer with fuzz.

Another intriguing option. I love an EF86 for gobbling up pedals.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom