New Amp Search

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by stuey222, Mar 24, 2008.

1. stuey222

stuey222 Member

Versatility and tone are the biggest factors I'm looking at right now. My situation is that I'm in college for performance, so I need an amp that will sound good and be able to cover many different gigs, country, blues, rock. I have a diverse pedalboard, so I just need an amp to complement and add more tonal colors. I know I'll definitely be getting an amazing amp when I graduate, but now I just want one that I can use for the many different gigs I will have throughout college. Anything over 35w-40w is too much right now, and I'd like to stay in the 20w-30w range.

The amps I'm really looking into right now are:

Marshall JTM45
    Genz Benz Black Pearl
    Vox AC30CC
    Blackheart Handsome Devil/Little Giant
    Ampeg J-20
    Fender DRRI
    Laney Lionheart
    a Dr. Z of some sort

It seems like these amps fall into categories of Fender, Vox, Marshall, more or less. If you have any info on these amps, let me know!

2. kbause

kbause Member

Willing to consider modeling at all?

3. starjag

starjag Member

Zinky Blue Velvet 25-watts :)

4. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

Take the DRRI off your list and replace it with Carr Rambler. Then purchase the Carr Rambler. Add a couple of dirt pedals and you're done. Also, switching between 14-28 watts gives you a few different volumes/tones to work with and it's got killer built in verb and trem, so that's several other things not to have to worry about.

5. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

You have a few nice choices listed. You are bound to get a bunch more, along with pros and cons from the folks here.

It really comes down to your ears, but for the breadth of tones that you seem to be seeking it appears that you should go for a two channel amp. If you raise your wattage limit a bit, and look for amps with a good master, attenuation or power scaling you will have more choices in two channel amps, but it could bust your budget.

After you come up with your "hit list" of two channel amps your range, you should try to hear the best candidates first-hand.

6. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

If your playing is limited to "country, blues, rock" then many of the amps you named above could be fine. An undergraduate performance program may have more breadth however, including jazz, Broadway show tunes, classical and more.
    I think the Axe FX and a powered monitor would be ideal for your stuation. Nothing else will give you the variety of tones and tone sculpting capabilities that will enable you to deal with whatever comes down the pike.