New amp - should I take it to my tech when it arrives

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bluesman, Dec 16, 2009.

1. bluesman

bluesman Member

You know how when you get a new guitar and it usually needs to be set up for the first time? Well, I have a new Blues Deluxe showing up on my doorstep tomorrow and I'm wondering if I should take it to my tech for him to give it the once over or should I expect it to hit the door ready to go?

2. ReginaldBisquet

ReginaldBisquet Member

Heck yeah... I would. No matter who makes it or what condition it's in. Better to trouble shoot up front than be left wondering.

3. Ron Thorn

Ron Thorn Gold Supporting Member

Hey Bluesman,
    I see we're in the same town...do you mind me asking who your tech is?

Thanks,
    Ron

4. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

:agree

Get the bias set properly if nothing else. Fender doesn't do it at the factory, so odds are good doing this one thing will noticeably improve the tone, and you have a 50/50 chance of it increasing tube life.

Also, you might want to consider replacing the stock Emi speaker with something that really sounds . Lots of folks like C.Rex's in these amps. I love a good, well-broken-in V30 or G1265. Warehouse Guitar Speakers makes their own versions of both these speakers for a lot less $$, BTW.

5. bluesman

bluesman Member

Sure, Ron. It's Jim Foote at Musicworks in Lawndale. I got his name from Robben Ford's guitar tech, Daved.

Jim does great work, but man he's a busy guy and he does not get to stuff quickly because he's got so much work. But he really does do a good job and doesn't charge an arm and a leg.

6. bluesman

bluesman Member

Yeah, I've seen lots of people rave about the C Rex so I was already planning on trying it out.

So you think the bias, huh? I was hoping I wouldn't need to do anything because the tech I take my stuff to is very busy and I'll likely have to wait. But if it needs it, it needs it and I'll have to deal. Do you now if that's something that can be done quickly? I have an amp at his place already and I wonder if it's worth asking him to do it quickly when I pick my other amp up. If it's quick, maybe he'd do it.

7. FFTT

FFTT Member

Yes Absolutely!

These amps have some minor well known issues that
    most techs are aware of.
    Solder Joints, Switches, Jacks and two resistors on the board
    that may overheat.

So you might count on maybe 2 hours of bench time
    and touch ups and it will be good to go.

Th C-rex is a definite priority upgrade that will totally transform
    the quality of your tone for the better.

I've got about $750.00 into my USA Blonde/Oxblood BD
    so leave yourself some room for reasonable improvements.

8. bluesman

bluesman Member

I heard that when they first came out they had some known issues but are you sure Fender hasn't worked those out by now?

9. FFTT

FFTT Member

Even if it's brand new, it can't hurt to have him check it over.

10. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Ron - Jim's good. He can get very backed up, but if you can be patient, he's really very good. Very, very experienced. Bit of a haul for you but if you wind up down this far, you gotta call me so I can take you out to lunch! ;)

11. FFTT

FFTT Member

My 2nd '93 Tweed BD was fine for 13 years,
    but the very first one arrived DOA.

This later Blonde/Tolex was working perfectly here at home
    then after one hard week of rehearsals at a friend's house
    it just started cutting out. Loose connection in the channel switch.

Sometimes even the best amp in the world needs a good shakedown.

Better to catch something minor before it becomes a showstopper.

12. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

er

Are you buying the amp new, as in new with warranty? If so you shouldn't do anything to void the warranty, but if it's out of warranty, have the tech install a bias pot rather than the hardwired resistor it probably came with originally. It's no more a pain to do than replacing the resistor as part of a standard bias adjustment, meaning it's a pain in the ass, but once he puts a bias pot in, it takes less than 5 minutes to readjust it the next time you replace power tubes.

OTOH, it may already have a bias pot installed. I don't know about the new Blues Deluxes; but Fender now puts one on all Hot Rod models.

13. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

I've seen some bad solder on some of the new Mexican Blues Jr circuitboards, then again, I just saw a brand new HRDx Mexican board that looked great. Luck of the draw.

Fender has switched their Hot Rod series amps to much better input jacks, but I don't know if they've applied the same 'fix' to the Blues Deluxe reissue.

The Hot Rod series still comes with the two cement power resistors that are soldered way too close to the board for the amount of heat they produce, so there's no reason to assume they're doing anything different for the Blues Deluxe.

At the end of the day, the Blues Deluxe and Hot Rod Deluxe amps are excellent low-cost gigging amps that truly sound like much bigger amps than they are. Spend a little shop time on either and you can transform it into something completely robust and reliable.

14. yabasta

yabasta Member

Why would you take a new amp to the tech?

Jam with it for a while, see if anything isn't wacky. If there is something then take it.

If its a new amp it has a warranty so your covered to have it fixed but why go pay for labor just to make sure a new amp is okay?

Rock first then worry later!

15. Ron Thorn

Ron Thorn Gold Supporting Member

Thank you :D

I just found out yesterday that Amphole moved right around the corner from me. In fact, he was considering leasing the shop right next door to us. I haven't used him and was curious if this was Bluesman's guy.

Thanks again for the tip.
    Ron

16. soldersucker

soldersucker Member

:agree
    it's a new amp right? not some 3k mint Tweed deluxe you score from Aunt Minnie's closet.