New Amp time...considering Budda and........

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dirty145, Jan 28, 2008.

1. dirty145

dirty145 Member

I have such a tough time pulling the trigger on large purchases. I want an amp preferably 30 watts or under that can get me into the medium gain, and possibly a little higher if needed. Love me a nice chimey clean. I do not play metal or anywhere close to metal. I have kindof had my heart set on a Budda Superdrive 18 or 30, but have also been considering the Bogner Shiva. Should I be considering anything else such as Reinhardt, Top Hat, Divided by 13, etc.. and if so, which models? How do you compare the Budda to these other amps? Thanks in advance!!

2. meterman

meterman Member

I love my TopHats! For ~30w the Vanderbilt 33 is probably the way to go, 2x6L6 in Class A, nice mix of Fender/Vox/Marshall tones and impeccable build quality. FWIW I have three of 'em, a 20w Club Deluxe and 35w Embassy both w/ 6V6s and a 50w Emplexador...

3. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Budda Superdrive 30 owner here. Amazing amp. +1 on Top Hats as well (also have an Emplexador - outstanding amp as well - more square in the Marshall Plexi category). You might want to look at their Club Royale, King Royale, and Supreme 16 and Vandy models.

4. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

If the $ is no issue, than you might want the /13 or a Bruno, but for the price there's nothing better than the SD30 if you like Budda. I've only ever played one Tophat and I didn't like it at all. I haven't had enough experience to say one way or the other on a Bogner.

The next amp I'm getting is the Cameron CCV 100. Best amp I've ever played and it's not even close.

5. Burst59

Burst59 Member

I have a Budda SD 18 and love it. To give some perspective I've owned over 10 amps over the last 2 years and and sold them all. I love the Budda.
    I of course kept my 71 and 74 Marshall Super Leads but I've had those for over 20 years. But the Budda is a tone monster and can be had for about a thousand used.

6. dirty145

dirty145 Member

I have heard some people say that the Budda 18 and 30 don't give enough bottom end or "oomph". Is this the case? I would be playing a Les Paul through it.

7. Burst59

Burst59 Member

I play a Les Paul as well and it has an ass load of bottom end.
    You have to remember there is always going to be a trade off when using a combo or small wattage amp. I just purchase a Budda 2x12 closed back cab that I'm going to be using with my combo for extra omph. But it's got plenty of bottom end without it.

8. Rock72

Rock72 Member

9. joshsage

joshsage Member

Also take a look at the elmwood stinger...and the cornford combos....I took the hurricane in, not thinking much, but I was floored! Also Cornford is about ot release some new PCB amps that are going to be VERY affordable in 30 or 50 watt offerings.
    Josh

10. plexirocker 68

plexirocker 68 Member

Burst59 and Rock72 got it right. The Budda SD30 is just a GREAT amp. The best sounding amp I have ever played. These are finally starting to get some recognition.

I have a bunch a highly collectable amps that just sit around now. They are now just investments.

Amazing tone just amazing. All night long when I'm gigging I'm just smiling to myself playing through this amp.

Very few amps are INSPIRING to play thru. The Budda SD series is INSPIRING every time.

plexi

11. jspax7

jspax7 Member

Have you heard a Brown Note D'Lite? 22 watts with 6V6's, 33 watts with 6L6's. Lots of other circuit options, and custom voicing available.

12. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

I have a Superdrive and its the only amp Ive owned that I wont sell. And I buy/sell often.

13. DICKIE C

DICKIE C Member

Reinhardts are definitely worth checking out. I have an "18" w/ el84's and it's great. You can also get it w/ 6v6's for more of that vox/Fender chime. If you want to keep it @ 30 watts the JKC33 is one to consider.

14. Junk Yard Dog

Junk Yard Dog Member

Just got my Budda SD30 II yesterday...Put it with a closed back, and you'll get that oomph...Especially with a Port City Wave!

15. dirty145

dirty145 Member

Great suggestions everyone!!!! If I were to go with the SD 30, is there a huge difference between the combo and getting the head. I have a 2x12 upright Mesa Rectifier Cab loaded with V30's. I've heard many people saying the Budda Phat 12's sound best with the amp. Could I get by with a 1x12 combo? Should I consider the 2x12 combo or maybe just get the head and use it with my cab? Finally.....lol, should i sell the cab and just get a budda cab? Like I said earlier, I'm bad with this stuff and I hate making the wrong decision. Thanks.

16. Junk Yard Dog

Junk Yard Dog Member

I have different cabs, 2x12's and 4x12's, so I got the head. I played the open back 2x12 vs. the 18 open back 1x12, and the 18 had more "perceived" thump, but I feel that's b/c of the open back design and the 30 had to drive 2 speakers instead of one.

Closed back cab will provide more thump, imo, but it's a personal preference thing.

Never played it with a Mesa cab, and I don't have much experience with their cabs, so I cannot attest to how it will sound.

I believe their amps will sound great with their own cabs.

I played mine with a mix of G12-75 and WGW V30 in my 2x12's.

17. mojoslide

mojoslide Member

I think the Budda should sound great through the Mesa 2x12. V30s are my current fave speakers for Buddas (I prefer them over the Budda Phat 12s). And you certainly wouldn't need to worry about lack of thump or bass with the Mesa cab.

18. sgsupremep90

sgsupremep90 Member

I have SD18 1x12. Love it, gig with it. The MV, nicely ranged eq, drive/clean and pull modern controls give all the flexibility you need for tone. Plenty loud for bars. You can dial up sufficient but not huge bottom - an extra speaker cab will help that. Plus, the amp weighs 45
    pounds - save your back.

19. coxswain

coxswain Member

I'm suprised nobody has mentioned the orange rocker series. In particular the Rockerverb 50 is amazing. Comes with 6v6 tubes for beutiful clean sounds, and the drive channel is just juicey and smooth. FWIW I think its better than the Bogner Shiva. The reverb on that amp is also amazing.

Chase

20. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

I've got a buddy here that has a SD45 II for sale if you're looking for more oomph than the 30. I believe his ad is no longer in the emporium, but PM me if you'd like me to put you in touch. It's like new and has KT66's I believe. Sounds frickin' awesome, and if I needed it I would pick it up in a heartbeat.