New amp time!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by j_m_s, Jan 25, 2008.

1. j_m_s

j_m_s Member

So ive been investing my life savings from young in pedals. But ive neglected my amp! DOH. BIG MISTAKE...

Now the time has come to upgrade! :D

so.

Requirements:

Tube or Solid State(Both are fine)
    Lightweight
    2 or more channels which are footswitchable. (1 must be a clean tone)
    Good Cleans
    Take pedals well
    Prefer it to be a combo cause id need to carry it to school gigs(No car)

I play a vast amount of genres

Rock, Punk(very little though), Pop Rock, Pop, P&W, Blues, Jazz, Alt Rock, Classic rock.

Bands would include John Mayer, Jonny Lang, Paramore, Alter Bridge, Creed, Eric Clapton, Eric Johnson, Hillsongs, Israel and the new breed, Planetshakers, Pink Floyd, Lincoln Brewster, Lifehouse and many many many more.

l'll be using it for small gigs(with drums) and home practice.

The most ill spend is probably 635 USD or less. Im a student so im tight on cash.

Any good recommendations?

Cheers
    James

2. vintage66

vintage66 Member

I have a Traynor Ycv40wr which I like a lot. I use it mostly on the gain channel set for a light/medium grind and use pedals to push it for more gain. It also has a boost, but it's really just more gain, not a true volume boost. The clean channel if very Fendery if you need that.
    I'd also check out a Peavey Classic 30 or 50. El84's instead of 6L6's-very nice sounding amps and a good deal used. Same for the Traynor if you can find a used one but they are harder to find used.

3. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Alessandro comes to mind.
    and my Chandler C38
    Why btw a channel switcher if you have a lot of Pedals?

4. GuitarDude

GuitarDude Member

also look into the peavey classic series. great amp for the price!

5. j_m_s

j_m_s Member

At home i usually dont play with pedals so. haha. yeah .

vintage 66, thanks! will check that out. traynor doesnt have a dealer in my country though. heh. WOW> its 4/7 of my weight.

Ill check out the peavey's the next time im at my local peavey dealer.

Any more suggestions?

6. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

I would consider a Tech 21 Trademark 60 combo, killer sounds, you don't have to deal with tubes and has built in boost and a effects loop. I have several high end tube amps but it always amazes me how nice the Tech 21 amp sounds. It would also be in your price limit.

7. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I think Fargen and Menatone announced an amp designed around pedals at NAMM.

8. j_m_s

j_m_s Member

Thanks for the other recommendations.

hmm. Tech 21 eh. its available in my country. Will give that a run too.

9. j_m_s

j_m_s Member

How bout the vox valvetronix? any views on those?

10. FFTT

FFTT Member

You are the PERFECT candidate for a Ceriatone.

Nik is a well respected builder of all tube hand wired amps
    out of Malaysia.
    He builds everything from Champ circuits up the 100 watt Marshall superleads.

I just can't see spending outrageous import duties there for the " semi-affordable amps here with PCB construction when you can afford something
    hand built and hand wired from Ceriatone.

If you do buy American, THE best grab and go amp in your price range is the Gries 5
    http://www.griesamps.com/

You'll have to ask him about international power requirements.

11. GGE

GGE Member

Choosing an amp is not an easy deal. There is so much to consider. First and foremost.....money! How much do you want (have) to spend? If you are a pedal kinda guy, you want to chose an amp that will highlight your pedals. If you want an amp sound, gain, clean, that's a whole other ball game. andy Fuchs just released an amp called The Clean which is specifically designed to satisfy the "pedal" users. Pedals sound completely different from one amp to another. Try playing the classic tube screamer through a Marshall, Fender, Jazz Chorus or a boutique amp. I guarantee you it will all sound different. You really need to get out there and just experiment.

I wish I could point you in the right direction but it's up to you my friend.

12. crosse79

crosse79 Member

Hi James,

A ceriatone will do you well. Go to TYMC. I believe they have some ceriatones. Hope the DD5 is serving you well. Get it modded by Randolf... you won't regret it..haha.

Regards,
    Andrew ;)

13. j_m_s

j_m_s Member

Ceriatone. Is right around the corner. a 5 hr drive from singapore to malaysia. better yet. im malaysian. Chinese new Year will be making a visit back so i could pick one up.....

Yeah, been reading about the gries. Im been meaning to make time to go to my local gries delear to give em a whirl.

Hey andrew! The DD5;s been serving me well. I like it stock! hehe.

Ooh, tymc brought in ceriatones? woahh. about time to go to visit em. yepp. better make an appointment with CK. hehe.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys. Will be going down to try the amps out asap!

14. FFTT

FFTT Member

In most cases, you're better off going for a well made all tube amp that
    gets natural cleans and overdrives, rather than putting your hard earned money into some of these rather cheezy solid state modeling amps.

A good Class A single ended amp like the Ceriatone Expression or Lightening can give you cleans to means at the touch of your guitar knob settings.

You may have to buy or build your own cabinet, but that gives you
    flexibility choosing your own design and choice of better speakers.