New Amp Time?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by stuey222, Mar 20, 2008.

1. stuey222

stuey222 Member

I have a 5150 212 combo, and I'm not sure if I should keep it. At 60 watts, it's too loud for club gigs, and the way most places are nowadays, you don't need a ton of wattage, because they want to put you through the PA. I've been thinking of trading the 5150 for something smaller, and more portable, and probably less gain.

I was thinking maybe a DRRI, Vox AC30CC head & cab, Peavey Classic 30 Head and cab, or something along those lines. If you have any other suggestions, feel free, but my budget for combo or head/cab is around $1000, give or take a few hundred.

I play mostly blues-rock, think Cream, Jeff Beck, Stones, Aerosmith, that kind of thing, and want it to be extremely touch responsive and able to manipulate with my guitar volume. I love power tube distortion over pre-amp, and would prefer a tube rectifier, but not necessary.

What are your thoughts?

2. todd921

todd921 Member

Take a look at the Genz Benz BP30...has the tones you're looking for, tube rectifier, and at 30 watts it's great for gigs. I got my 1x12 combo for well under your budget...make an offer on the bay.

First amp I've had that is totally intuitive for getting the sound I'm looking for. No more "close enough" after hours of twiddling knobs...just dial up what you're thinking in your head and it's there. You can get great AC/DC tones, SRV sparkly dirt, singing Santana tone, and Voxy or Fendery cleans, and this thing absolutely sings with a boost in front of it.

Added bonus, you can switch it down to 15 or 8 watts...nice for smaller settings.

3. stuey222

stuey222 Member

The Black Pearl does look nice. What do you think I could get the head and cab for?

4. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Take a look at the Gries 20. Hand wired goodness and very reasonably priced.

www.griesamps.com

Good Luck in your search.

5. FFTT

FFTT Member

I think he may be happier with the Gries 35 for headroom.

Also check out the Reeves Custom 30, Custom 50 and Custom Lead.

Also the VVT Amps Blue Belair and Allen Accomplice.

6. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

I'll second the Black Pearl. I have one and it's very versatile, and sounds good at very reasonable volumes. You can get a new 1x12 combo for $900. You can probably find a head and their 2x12 for $1,250, give or take a little. Try Best Price Guitar in Oklahoma (Brother Bobby in their ads).

John

7. wilerty

wilerty Member

I just got a Rivera Clubster 25 Doce just for playing at home. 38 pounds, 1X12, 6V6, 2 channel, and very nice. About $1K