New Amp to Replace My Faulty 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb (SFDR Content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Unadan, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Unadan

Unadan Member

So after having some problems with new Fender 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb amps I had to go old school. Yes it cost me more but it is definitely worth it. 1975 Silverface Deluxe Reverb! All original except the photo circuit was replaced because the old one was weak - one new filter cap, original three prong power cord, original Utah speaker and transformers.

One question - based on the photo of the power cord below - would you replace it or do you think it is ok for now?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  2. sled

sled Member

I would replace it... or put a new end on it.

3. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

"... for now..." probably ok, wrap it up thick with some tape though to keep from pulling on the wires....
    There's some black electrical tape that sticks to itself... forget what it's called. Not sticky on the surface, you stretch it and it adheres to itself. It's very durable... kinda like virgin rubber or something.
    Not saying you shouldn't replace it eventually...

4. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different! Supporting Member

At the least I'd replace the plug, but I'd also check to make sure that it looked tight where it connects inside the chassis.

5. bgio

bgio Supporting Member

I would at least replace the plug as well. Probably the whole cord, but that's me. I got a little shock from my old Vibro-champ once when the cord looked like that. It got replaced very quickly after that.

6. Unadan

Unadan Member

The filter caps are all original Mallory's (brown) except for one. They appear to be in very good condition. How important is it to replace them right away?

7. texstrat

texstrat Member

Congrats on the SFDR! I think you will llike it way more the the 68. I'd replace the chord, of course you'll always keep the original, but a new chord will be safer and more efficient.

8. Unadan

Unadan Member

Filter caps yea or neigh? I spoke with a high quality local guitar repair shop that advised against replacing any caps if the amp sounded good and the caps appeared to be in good condition. Good advice?

9. zenas

zenas Member

Bad advice. Replace every single electolytic cap in the amp filter, bias and cathode bypass.
    70s electrolytics are junk just replace them all.