New amp, Victoria Electro King!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MikeB_18, Jul 26, 2008.

1. MikeB_18

MikeB_18 Member

I've had my mind on this amp since I first plugged into a few months ago at my favorite local shop. The Electro King is a copy of a late '50's Gibson GA-40. It's 15 watts driven by two 6V6's through a 12" Jensen Alnico speaker. I love the way it breaks up almost immediately, especially with humbuckers. I mean there is like zero headroom for cleans out of this thing. It doesn't really even come on until about 2 on the dial and it's clean to about 2.5. At 3 it starts to break up and by 3.5 it's completely overdriven. You can get a touch more clean out of it through the second input or on the trem input but not much. I've been using an A/B switch to pair it with my Regal. They work well together, Regal for cleans and the Electro King for overdrive.

The overdrive is real dirty in general and after about 6 on the dial it starts to introduce a bit of a high end treble buzz that sounds pretty cool when playing leads. You can tone this back but turning the voicing dial more toward the bass side instead of treble but I like the effect. I find the sweetest tone for rythym to be right around 5. It stays nice and fat at that volume but still has enough overdrive for my liking. Another thing I like to do is to keep the dial at around 3 and play lightly on the strings it gives some nice cleans but when you really dig into the strings and you get the breakup. Reminds me of a Marshall Bluesbreaker in that way.

The trem is pretty over the top, even more so than on my Regal. If you crank it all the way up it almost sounds as if the amp is turning itself on and off. At lower more useable settings it seems to be very organic, like your riding a wave of sound. Typically I only use trem on cleans so I'm not sure how much I'll use it on this amp.

I'm not sure what else to say really, it's a cool amp and I'm glad to have it in my collection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 5E3

5E3 Member

Awesome! Congrats! :AOK

3. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

4. MikeB_18

MikeB_18 Member

Thanks for the comments guys. :dude

I love Mark's labels for the standby switches. Like this one says Now/Then and my Regal says Yield/Run. I'm sure some of the others are equally as entertaining.:rotflmao

Anyone know what some of the others say?

5. J.T. Guitar

J.T. Guitar Platinum Member Silver Supporting Member

Congrats... I love Mark's simple but elegant wiring!

6. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Played one at NAMM - excellent amp - congrats!

7. J.T. Guitar

J.T. Guitar Platinum Member Silver Supporting Member

I played the Golden Melody a couple of days ago. Nice, nice amp. If I didn't have a Pure 64 Mean Street Classic coming, it would have went home with me!

8. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

So, this is a "Chocolate Thunder" copy? Less headroom than a tweed Deluxe? Sounds like a winner!

Mike

9. alivegy

alivegy Member

It's Evolution Baby. Nice Amp.

10. MikeB_18

MikeB_18 Member

I'm not familiar with the Chocolate Thunder but it certainly has less headroom than a Tweed Deluxe. In fact about 3 or 4 months ago a Tweed Deluxe was #1 on my list of wanted amps but after playing a few, Fender and Victoria I decided it still wasn't quite what I wanted.

Then this thing came along and blew me away. It's certainly not for everyone but if you're into dirty overdrive it's worth checking out.

11. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

I wonder how closely it copies the Gibson circuit? Seems kinda strange for a Gibson amp to have so little headroom.

That said, I think the styling of the amp are just great!

12. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Generally speaking, they don't have much headroom. That is one of the things that makes them so attractive, as an "alternative" to, say, a Fender of the same wattage.

13. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

I always thought that they had a little more headroom that a comparable Fender amp.

Learn something new everyday. :cool:

14. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

I wish I was rich so I could get one of these! the originals are one of those amps that you have to bathe after using, which is my cup of tea! I know these are probably equally as disgusting. one day....

15. Derelict

Derelict Member

+1

Do the evolution and post some clips.:phones

16. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Member

I haven't had a chance to play one of these yet, but it sounds interesting. Sometimes less headroom is exactly what you want.

One question, is the distortion similar to a deluxe or is it different. I'm just wondering how the 5879 tubes change the flavor vs. 12ax7s.

We need to hear some clips too. . .

17. MikeB_18

MikeB_18 Member

I'm not really set up to record but I guess I can figure something out.

It doesn't have the same kind of low end as a Deluxe, it's a bit more focused and plays well with both singles and humbuckers. I'm trying to think of something more mainstream that it compares to and nothing really comes to mind. When playing it I wasn't really thinking of something to compare it to.

Anyone have any suggestions on a simple and possibly free piece of software for recording?

18. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

audacity is the best freeware recording software that I know of. I use it for editing files though, so I am not sure if you can record with it. I believe you can though, as there is a record button.

19. straticus

straticus Member

Wow, beautiful looking amp.

I really like the concept. Must have clips! :)

20. sqadan

sqadan Member

hahahaha... I've played this exact amp - I know where you got it!

Great amp - great shop too! Enjoy!