New amp worth the $?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pcs2011, May 7, 2016.

1. pcs2011

pcs2011 Member

I've posted here several times looking for an alternative to my fender pro jr and have yet to settle on one. My main beef with the amp is the lack of bass response from the 10" speaker. I've corrected hum issues with the amp by swapping tubes and have now played the same one for close to ten years. I have experimented with a drri which sounds relatively flat and sterile, as well as some marshall combos. I keep coming back to the pro jr. I have also played through several amps in stores but have not been able to drive them enough to feel comfortable with a purchase. I feel like I would like a supro duo tone or dr. Z carmen ghia but I'm hesitant to drop $1k plus when I'm not entirely sold. My pro jr is loud enough for what I need and I like the sound, just wish I had more bass and more air moving. Should I branch out and take the leap on a new amp or stick with what I know? Or would running a pro jr through another cab, say a port city 1x12 os give me the desired result?

2. Imperial_Tone

Imperial_Tone All things with a Maple Cap

I'd jump for a new amp. Branch out and test the waters. The Ghia is a great amp, simple, but sweet. Haven't had much time with any of the new reissue supro stuff. But from what I've heard they sound great. The main thing you'll notice is pre-amp and power sections and the difference in "tonality". You can often find a used Ghia below 1k, definitely a steal in the $900-700 price range.

Port City makes great cabs, but if you are questioning if it's truly time for a change, go for it. even better, find someone who owns either amp and compare your tone..

3. Eric Porter

Eric Porter Member

If you like the Pro Jr., why not spend the money on a 1x12 or 2x12 cabinet with your favorite speaker(s), and run the Pro Jr through the cab?

guitarjazz, pbmw, NamaEnsou and 2 others like this.
  4. Serenity

Serenity Member

The new Supros are well worth checking out, but definitely try before you buy.

5. pcs2011

pcs2011 Member

Serenity I played a duo-tone at a sam ash when I was testing a pedal. Amp volume was on about three. It sounded good but I didn't crank it louder to it's sweet spot out of respect for other customer. I typically run amps loud and use the guitar's volume knob. Like I said, I never feel like I can tell much about an amp in a store because I can't crank it as loud as I normally do.

6. jlb32

jlb32 Member

If you love your amp and it's tone but just want more bass response get a closed back extension cab. It will make a world of difference tonally and probably make you think you bought a new amp.

I use to really like combos early on but after getting into amp heads and cabs most combos just don't cut it for me anymore.

Cruciform likes this.
  7. PKYINK

PKYINK Member

Check out Phaez amps. Good used prices or buy direct and have him make whatever you want.

8. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

Fender BJ or a Peavey Classic 30 Both a step or two up the amp ladder. Buy them used here or off CL. If you don't like, you can resell and not take a bath. I'm digging my C30 over my Mesa LSS and Fargen Epic at the moment. My old BJ with a Wizard was killer amp too.

9. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

Ghia, there are a few for sale in your range on the forum

10. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Supporting Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    Yeah man, trying amps in a store can be a drag. Some places have a nice sound proofed room, but that's not always great either. What I've been doing is trying an amp at moderate volume, and then when a sales guy comes around asking if I can crank it for a minute or two. I have a couple riffs that will tell me quickly if the amp can do what I need it to do or not.

Also consider- your ears are dialed into what your Pro Jr gives you. So when you try a new amp you might be missing a certain emphasis of a specific frequency range the the PJ gives you, but you may not actually want/need.

You didn't say what kinda music you play, but I think that Supro may work for you. Those amps aren't gonna get much louder after 3 or 4 on the dial, just dirtier. Or as mentioned you can always grab a bigger can for the PJ.

Blues Jr is a step down IMO...

Ilduce and Figaro like this.
  11. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

picnic, I'm guessing if your "location" is anywhere near accurate, you're close enough to a Guitar Center with a Platinum Room to have the opportunity to crank a Supro. I think most of them have a Supro or two kicking around, and if you go in the Platinum room you can crank it without hurting anyone's feelings. Bring your Pro Jr and play it thru a larger cab at the same time and compare. If the Pro Jr thru another cab works, then you're done! I understand GAS and have collected amps for decades but if you can be happy with just one, then please, just be happy!

12. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

I'm with the "go with an external speaker cab" group. If you love the tones from the amp, stick with it!

13. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Silver Supporting Member

I think Blues Junior is your best move...similar sound, more bass.

14. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

External closed-back 12". This will make a huge difference and even if you do sell the Fender you can always use a 1x12 cab....
    Keep an eye on cl for a Peavey sx(?) cabinets. All plywood, convertible back. They sell for cheaper than you can build one for. Speaker to taste.

15. H. Mac

H. Mac Member

I may be missing your point, but if your only concern is the lack of bass from the stock 10 incher, you don't need a new amp. You need a speaker (and maybe a v1 tube) that produces greater bass. Why not consider an Eminence Lil Buddy or other hemp cone speaker? The Lil Buddy is well-balanced with a great, warm bass response, and won't break the bank. And maybe try a JJ in v1 - not pricy, and it emphasizes the bass.