1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

New Amp!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Kaiser, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

Recently I’ve decided to upgrade my rig, I’ve been playing guitar for some time now and have the money for it, so the first thing I did was buy myself a new guitar, I went out and tried different types and bought the one that I liked best, a Gibson SG. Ok, the next step? The amp, I’m looking something near the 1K~1.2K limit, no more; my budget is not allowing me.

Right now I’m considering:
    Peavey 5150(6505) combo
    Traynor custom valve 80 2x12
    Fenders

I play rock, and these were the amps I audition my guitar when I bought it, I’m looking for an amp that can deliver loud cleans and has a nice crunch in the overdrive channel, (two channels might be good and effects loop, NOT MANDATORY as is the case of the peavey); I play with effects too, my current pedal board has a SD-1, big muff and a DOD multifx that I will upgrade after the amp, I need some chorus, delay and phase in my rig, right now I’m playing through a little Crate amp that doesn’t cut through the drummers loud playing.

Now you all know what I have and what I want, any suggestion will be appreciated.

PS: if you can explain something about the different sounds of tube amps, like the difference between 6L6’s or EL34’s or any other tubes and post some references like sound clips or suggest any recordings, I will thank you, I know some of this may be achieved through the search engine, but couldn’t find it that easily.

2. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

One of the few production amps with tone I can stomach is Marshall's reissue of the 2x12" Bluesbreaker combo. It should still be in your price range, has great cleans and when pushed can breakup with in-your-face edge and takes pedals very well. If all my amps were stolen, including my homebrew amps, I'd rush out and get one of these to hold me until I built something new.

3. p.snail

p.snail Member

Peavey JSX Head or Combo. One of the best amps around for the $$$.

4. Colt

Colt Member

marshall combo.....JCM 800, 900, or 2000....sounds like you'll be playing modern rock...

5. aquadog

aquadog Member

sounds like an orange would fit the bill.

6. guidedbyechoes

guidedbyechoes Member

Carvin MTS and change the tubes 6l6 if you like mesa like sound more el34 if you like marshalls.

7. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
    The Traynor has got some great clean tones. With a good pedal, that is a pretty powerful rig. It has an OD channel too, and some like it, some don't. I just love the clean channel on the Traynors, and the OD channel can work great too if you set it up right.

8. pureoldsound

pureoldsound Member

Good cleans and good OD tones, 1K budget, I am thinking a used Rivera. Those amps have gain and a very good clean channel. They also have an FX loop...

How loud do you need to be? Do you need 100W, 50W, 30W?

I noticed that you are looking at combos so no need for a cab....

Take a look at this list:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76496

There are plenty of amps, and most of them have sound clips that can give you an idea on what to look for. Once you pin point the amp search the emporium or ebay for a used amp....Also don't rule out the possibility of a head and a 2x12. Avatar cabinets are pretty good for the money and cheap.

9. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

Plexibreath-never tried the bluesbreajer before, but have heard it, it does sounds great, but is out of my budget, runs for 2K+

p.snail-never played the JSX, how can you compare it to the 6505?

Colt-too expensive right now

guidedbyechoes-the shops I know don't have Carvins, too bad

aquadog-the rockerverb is a good option

How can you compare the options you suggested with the ones I posted before?
    I'm not playing any NuMetal thing, maybe my mistake, I'd like the guitar sounds in the smashings pumpkins records but love the pearl jam sound in "Last Kiss" for softer songs as much as I like the soundgarden sound and the dirty guitars of Gin Blossoms's new miserable experience and Rich Robinson's guitar tone in Amorica.
    Just to give you an idea of the sound I'm looking for, maybe too much for my little budget.
    Please keep suggesting now that I've provided a more info
    Thanks in advance.

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

oohh more replys while I was posting, good!! Thanks!!

Rotren-Yeah, the Traynor have great cleans, that's why put it my options

pureoldsound-I'm looking at combos because they are less expensive than a head and a cabinet, a 2 x 12 cabinet may be a good option too. I haven't looked at used amps, didn't cross my mind before, but with the link you posted I'll be listening.

Sure I'll be back with more questions, Thanks again

11. pureoldsound

pureoldsound Member

If you like take some time to go over that list and then report back with what you liked best. By then I am sure you will have plenty of questions...:D

Combos are a very good tool and are easily portable. Except for Fender’s which are heavy as heck....I used to own just combos, but started experimenting with cabs and I kind of prefer head and cab setups better. However I still like combos because they are easy to carry around.

I think Valvetech amps make some killer high gain / clean channel amps for less than 1K (don’t quote me on that). They are all point to point….

12. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

Another vote here for a Valvetech VAC, although you will have a hard time finding one at a store to try out. They have the ability to get a vintagey clean and a great OD in a handwired amp. My VAC has become my personal favorite.

Another great amp that you might find used on Ebay is a Hughes and Kettner Duotone. Great clean channel and a wicked modern OD. These are not that common, but are a good value if you find them used. I have seen them go for under $1000 used--- even though they are very expensive as new amps

13. Roe

Roe Member

i'd recommend a alessandro working dog series 2x10" or 1x12" combo (1200$). the head costs 1000.
    he makes them with 6v6, 6l6, and el34,

14. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

Allies are great. What about a used Soldano Reverb o Soinc or Lucky 13. Should fall into your price range. Lucky 13 should giveyou the cleans you are looking for.

cmn

15. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

Wow! They really have jumped in price, when Marshall first reissued them they were about a grand, then they came out with the Limited Edition model which boosted the price. You might want to look at used ones, they should still be in your price range. Here's one one ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7352564259&indexURL=1#ebayphotohosting