New Amp-

Discussion in 'Gear Demo Videos & Sound Clips Archive' started by jackaroo, Aug 10, 2008.

1. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  2. lv

lv Supporting Member

Jack,

Stunning tone and playing, just gorgeous. Which Blockhead? How loud was it to get that tone?

Lou

3. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

It was about as loud as my television during "the game" granted I don't watch TV very much..but that's about it. Too loud to just talk over...but not even close to gigging volume...like maybe 3 or 4 watts. My preggy wife and 2 year old are asleep upstairs...trust me, if it was loud, the hammer would come down mighty quick!

This being the demo section here's the particulars of the tone-

The blockhead is their ca.1965 JTM-45 head.

AVRI strat into Blockhead
    Blockhead to Ho attenuator
    Ho "Dry" to scumnico

Then the "Wet" send of the Ho to TC 2290
    2290 to Ho "Wet" return
    Ho to Scumback

Then there's one mic in front of the cab, no compression, EQ or funny stuff.

To ProTools for a little verb

Mix and enjoy!

Thanks for listening-

Jack

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  4. straticus

straticus Member

5. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I downloaded that one, Jack. Let me know if it's ok to send to folks as an example or post on my site. Nice playing, sir!

6. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

I'd be honored Jim...they are your speakers- Really like the Scumnico...what's the backorder time these days?

J

7. lv

lv Supporting Member

Jack,

How close is the tone in the room vs what is on the clip? Is the amp really that creamy and smooth on the top end? Really lovely tones.

Thanks,

Lou V.

8. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

LV-

That's exactly what it sounds like right in front of the cab...minus the plate reverb- but I'm buying a Lexicon unit soon I think... so that'll change.

The cab is a little too beamy actually. It really sounds great right where the mic goes and right at speaker level. But with the closed back vertical 2x12 there's nothing happening out the back, and the bottom 12 is just the FX...so it's basically a 65 watt alnico 1x12 in a big enclosure with it's own dedicated reverb/delay speaker. I might get a beam blocker just to spread it out a bit so I don't have to sit right in front when I play to hear this lovely tone. The level is so quiet that it won't saturate the whole room, and sounds even creamier if off axis. I would really love to get another
    Scumnico in the cab as I feel the H55 is a little too far from the Scumnico tonally- it's awesome...just a little too different.

It's definitely optimized for recording cranking Marshall tones at midnight levels with FX...just awesome for me. I don't have to use the delay and fx stuff in the studio, with all the post processing available, but it's fun to just be playing...get inspired and drop a track- just like last night.

Live, I'd want to use another 2x12 for the wet and a 2x12 for the dry.

Thanks for listening everyone-

J

9. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I can't keep them in stock. They're sold before they get here, no matter how many I order. It's a 4-5 week wait, sir....wish I could do better.

10. sinner

sinner Member

Sounds great, Jack. I like how sensitive the rig is to your pick attack, some great range coming through--I love the "stringy" sound, very clean and smooth (fingers there?) that's at the same volume as the overdriven and picked heavier moments.

11. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

All pick on this one I think. I just closed my eyes and went loose.

12. thintele

thintele Member

Nicely done ...great tone and very tasteful playing, Jack. Are those stock pup's in the Strat?

13. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

Virtual Vintage...not sure I think it's the "Heavy Blues" in the neck (this song is all neck position)...not sure on the middle and the "Solo" model on the bridge.

14. gregc

gregc Member

Nice tone, Jack. I like it!

15. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

very nice! love the melody. The hamonics in the tones where really sweet.. reminds me of a set of speakers I have. :D Mine is a aftermartket jtm45 mod'ed by reinhart in a 2x12 combo.. with scumincos.

Enjoy your trip.

16. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

Thank Jerry Garcia for the melody.

Sounds like the same rig you had...

J

17. meterman

meterman Member

Dude......awesome. Possibly my favorite Jerrry ballad....GREAT tone and way to nail the changes with maximum feeling. Hats off sir!

PS Any chance you could give China Doll the same treatment? :)

18. scottl

scottl Member

Great Jack. Tone reminded me of Landau a bit....

19. meterman

meterman Member

the fact that you can get that tone from a Strat straight into a JTM45 at 'sleeping family' volumes, makes me want to take the plunge on the Ho attenuator in the worst way....

20. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

Yes...I'm pretty smitten with my set up these days. I've got a few heads...I'm just dialing in a few other elements- like a decent reverb, another 2x12, some more speakers, and routing it all through my rig controlled by my ground control. It's a big undertaking...

The Ho is a big part of it all for sure.

As for Landau...I liked that guys playing when I saw him in LA like 10 years ago- a monster for sure. To be compared to him in any way is a huge compliment.

I'm not sure what tune I'll do next with the rig- something rocking with the T-Rex I think. I just was feeling moved by the tone I was getting and thought I'd do a little something.

So, as fast as I could build the drum track, fly in the bass and keys...30 minutes- then a line check. Then a take. I'm hearing a few things I wish I could tighten up. I hear note choices I feel I could have made that I didn't...but I've started to dig it for what it is...a little moment in time.

Thanks-

J