1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

New amps in the house: Jamison and Matchless

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GAT, Dec 31, 2005.

1. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

UPS dropped of a new SC-30 and a Jamison head, #8. Good thing I had rehearsal tonight, they both sound great. The Jamison is nothing like a Matchless IMO. It reminds me of a Bruno UG30 with more clarity. Takes pedals well and sounds great on the 1/2 power setting. It is very fat and has a lot of bottom end and high end. Great woody mids. I ran it through my old Marshall 4x12, amazing amp, thanks Scott.:BEER

2. BattleAngel

BattleAngel Member

Congratulations! I actually wondered where that Jamison went to... I was going to send the guy an eMail when I found the post was gone!

It's a good thing I've got a 2x12 combo version... Arizona used it on virtually every track of our last album and it's my gigging amp. Love it with my Ruokangas guitar, it is possibly the only amp that has made me forget about my poor long gone Top Hat...

Enjoy it in good health and send an eMail to arizonamusic@gmail.com if you ever think about selling it! It would be amazing to run two of these Jamison amps in stereo...

3. GAT

Stereo:eek:

I used it at rehearsal and it is really something else. What speakers are you using?

I saw it come up and snapped it up ASAP. Glad I did!

4. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

Congrats! Do you prefer it to the UG30 or would you say it is just a different flavor?

5. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I love my SC30...that thing and a Tele...fuggetaboudit.
    I would also like to sample a Jamison one of these days.
    S
    j

6. GAT

I think it is diffeent enough from the UG30 but it is in the same camp. Super fat but with a high end shimmer that is ever present. When you switch to another amp they almost seem like they don't have the ultra highs or lows that the Jamison has. Again, in a band mix it really stands out, though I used an Ultimate Attenuator to cut it back ever so slightly, which worked great. I has a very woody tone.

The SC-30 is great too, very different mid range tonal structure and less of the ultra highs and lows of the Jamison. I used the SC-30 Saturday night as the "rhythm" amp along with my RSA23 half stack. Perfect clean and crunch tones. Had to use it on 1/2 power as the RSA23 is about the same volume. Sounds different than the Phoenix I had, more smooth and less rock and roll.

7. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Gilbert,

Glad you like the amp. There is something unique about the Jamison amps that just sits very well in a mix. I've used it in a duo occasionally but mostly in a full band setting for several years. I just think it is a wonderful sounding and feeling amp. Very consistent tonally and very reliable.

FWIW, I never use the half-power setting or the master. I love the fullness of the full power. I have both a 1x12 and a 2x12 combo.

8. Lamont

Lamont Member

Gilly,, man, i sure glad you like that amp. That was a real tough one to let go .If it had a 4 ohm out , it would have stayed here in so cal--But im REALLY glad it was you who got it!!!Lamont

9. GAT

Okay, spent about an hour today A/Bing the Jamison with my other amps and it really sounds a lot like the Connie with a bit more bass and low mids with woody mids and the ever present sparkle. Very close!! Same touch sensitivity, clean to intense scream with a volume knob, and the exact volume output. It just has JJ's and tomorrow I put in some NOS preamp tubes in it. I used a Baker B1 with a Goodwood bridge and a Grosh Set Neck with Fralin pickups and both just screamed. The only bummer is, now I don't know if I should keep two similar sounding amps. The Connie is like an alto sax and the Jamison is more like a tenor sax, both wail, but in slightly different registers. I also just got an Elmwood Modena which is crazy good.

10. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

Congrats Gat!
    I've always wanted to give a Jamison a go.
    Keep us updated on future tone reports after a few gigs!
    BTW was this an Amp Emporium listing? Sorry I missed it if so!

11. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    Steve,
    You are the man. You have owned your Jamison's and that Constellation for ever(well in gear page years) and I commend you on that. It is nice to see you found what you love and stick with it. Kudos to you.

Chuck

12. GAT

Lamont told me about it then it was posted and I knew that it wouldn't last so the post only lasted a very short time. I was actually ready to buy your red Clubman when I saw this come up, glad you sold the Clubman! It is a fat, greasy amp, in a good way. The cleans are great with a slight twist of a volume knob. You really don't need gain pedals, there is a lot of gain on tap. Listen to Lukather on Break Down Dead Ahead, and this amp kind of gets that tone, lots of bite yet fat with lots of overtones.

13. GAT

Chuck,

I emailed Steve about the amp and he was kind enough to quickly email me back with some great advice, so hats off to Steve. I can see why he has kept this and the Connie, man what a combo. I see you're looking for a Connie too.