New Amptweaker Defizzerator

PatriotBadger

Stroke of simple genius. Why has no one thought of this before? This is going to save a lot of 'hairy' amps from the chopping block. Would have loved this for my V3M istead of extensively modding the circuit.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
The Ayans Smooth and Slim was a similar idea, although designed to go in front of a Fender amp to reduce bass build up. But yeah, a passive EQ.

There are a couple of potential problems... If your effects loop is unbuffered this might roll off too much treble. It might not play well with anything else you're putting in the effects loop. I wonder if it's a straight capacitor based EQ or if he's also got a proper inductor in there? Unlikely at the price...

This is going to be great for high gain amps. I wonder if it's going to be noticeable in a band context though.

WhoJamFan

Silver Supporting Member
Just ordered mine, in the studio late next week and will get a full workout between drives and amp:)

WhoJamFan

Silver Supporting Member
Whoo hoo! Just got mine in the mail, will report back when I give it a good workout.

WhoJamFan

Silver Supporting Member
I don't get it. Seems to me if your amp needs to be de-fizzed it's probably a good indication that you need a new amp, not some band-aid device?

Ok, say you have a one channel amp, like a Twin, and you dial in a great, sparkling clean tone, but every drive or fuzz you use with it requires a compromise of your clean sound so your drive sound isn't a beehive of high end.
Think of this as Raid, killing those bees so you can now enjoy the clean tone you want without the drive sounding dull because it's tone control knocks off too much high end.
Dual channel amps that share an eq is usually a compromise, this can help with that.
High power heads and cabs the sound guy makes you turn down so far your amp sounds whispy-again-this could help.
No more a "band aid" than than an eq rack or pedal, it just focuses on the super high frequencies that keep many from enjoying their fuzz pedals or whatever because of the super high end noise/fizz whatever.
Looks to be quite a handy tool, but let me put it through it's paces before saying anymore.
Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

tmac

Goldmember
Platinum Supporting Member
Ok, say you have a one channel amp, like a Twin, and you dial in a great, sparkling clean tone, but every drive or fuzz you use with it requires a compromise of your clean sound so your drive sound isn't a beehive of high end.
Think of this as Raid, killing those bees so you can now enjoy the clean tone you want without the drive sounding dull because it's tone control knocks off too much high end.
Dual channel amps that share an eq is usually a compromise, this can help with that.
High power heads and cabs the sound guy makes you turn down so far your amp sounds whispy-again-this could help.
No more a "band aid" than than an eq rack or pedal, it just focuses on the super high frequencies that keep many from enjoying their fuzz pedals or whatever because of the super high end noise/fizz whatever.
Looks to be quite a handy tool, but let me put it through it's paces before saying anymore.
Hope that makes sense.
Ok, thanks. Let us know if it's a useful tool.

WhoJamFan

Silver Supporting Member
Will do. If I'm right, this may be a strat or teles new best friend using the bridge pickup with drive.

WhoJamFan

Silver Supporting Member
Holy moly!!! What a fantastic pedal!
Rickenbacker 330 with toasters, bridge pickup, Amptweaker Tightfuzz with the Defizzulator in the Universal loop set to post, into an AC15HTVH head and Vox Anny 2X12 with UK Blues, Top Boost channel-total recipe for high end that makes dogs cry for miles-this thing works like a son of a gun. Backed the unuseable crap right out of equation with flying colors.
For $60 shipped, this thing is really a no brainer, and be prepared to fall in love again with that ratty, nasty ole fuzz pedal you wish you could actually use anywhere but your bedroom at low volumes.
Knocked it out of the park with this one James, what a killer high end tamer this thing is.
It differs from standard eq pedals as it just gives you complete control of the super high trebles and makes them manageable without killing the high end, like turning a tone knob or an eq slider down does.
Wow.

Bentayuk

I haven't played one yet, but the immediate difference I noticed from James 5150 video, was how it reminded me of the tonal differences between an original and modded 5150.

I was looking into modded 5150's (like Voodoo etc..) and the tonal differences appeared to be the high end fizz being removed, and what some call 'warmth / clarity' mods.

IMO, the EQ curve in the Defizzorator isn't much different tonally. Obviously it's not exact, and you haven't upgraded any parts. It's just the impression I got.

It's interesting to say the least, and worth $60 by far.

WhoJamFan

Silver Supporting Member
Really looking forward to using it in the studio next week where all things equate to "tape don't lie."
Being able to fine tune the ultra highs before it reaches the amp is really gonna be nice, especially since the "fix it in the mix" never really turns out right without compromise.

Bandersnatch

Stroke of simple genius. Why has no one thought of this before? This is going to save a lot of 'hairy' amps from the chopping block. Would have loved this for my V3M istead of extensively modding the circuit.

I have -it's similar to the cut control in VOX AC30 where its located around the PI -basically a bandpass filter w/pot-- If you removed the network components and left the pot you'd have a PPIMV

Good for fixing Celestian 'Fizz' 30's

Last edited:

Bandersnatch

How's this different than an EQ pedal?

Theoretically it may operate somewhat like a parametric eq so depending on the setting the 'Q' can be narrower. A GEQ has a fixed wide Q that also affects frequencies around the center band not just the particular freq itself.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom