New Amptweaker Defizzerator

amptweaker

How's this different than an EQ pedal?

I haven't played one yet, but the immediate difference I noticed from James 5150 video, was how it reminded me of the tonal differences between an original and modded 5150.

I was looking into modded 5150's (like Voodoo etc..) and the tonal differences appeared to be the high end fizz being removed, and what some call 'warmth / clarity' mods.

IMO, the EQ curve in the Defizzorator isn't much different tonally. Obviously it's not exact, and you haven't upgraded any parts. It's just the impression I got.

It's interesting to say the least, and worth $60 by far.

It is a simple EQ....but it's passive so you don't need batteries, AND it doesn't add noise. I used low impedance values since that would work fine in the loop or after any buffers etc, and not pickup hum/noise as much, and not add noise with electronics of a regular EQ. It only cuts the very high, highs at 3 frequencies I set on there. The Fizz one is really high and only noticeable if your speakers can reproduce that high.....which is the whole problem. Most speakers that sound great clean go way up there, and then the fuzziness from distortion sounds like crap. This can fix that.

The 5150 does have a lot of sizzle-ey highs, and part of that was Eddie liked how it cleaned up....he didn't play it at low volumes, and at high master volume settings that sizzle gets clipped away by the power amp rails. So you don't hear it nearly as much, UNTIL you turn the guitar down, which he does all the time and doesn't want it to sound muddy in any way. But of course then it's very fizzy at low volumes. The DeFizzerator fixes that, and you could accomplish it all kinds of ways in the amp, but this is a simple plug in pedal you can just patch in without shipping your amp around.

James

Benny Jones

I've just ordered my Defizzerator, question for you James if you're not busy with NAMM! If I patch this in after both my brp and big muff, as opposed to in the loop of the brp, will it have any effect on my clean tone? Thanks

erikm5150

The 5150 does have a lot of sizzle-ey highs, and part of that was Eddie liked how it cleaned up....he didn't play it at low volumes, and at high master volume settings that sizzle gets clipped away by the power amp rails. So you don't hear it nearly as much, UNTIL you turn the guitar down, which he does all the time and doesn't want it to sound muddy in any way. But of course then it's very fizzy at low volumes. The DeFizzerator fixes that, and you could accomplish it all kinds of ways in the amp, but this is a simple plug in pedal you can just patch in without shipping your amp around.

James

@amptweaker Thanks for sharing that James, awesome info.
Yes I have the same experience with good tube amps and I use them the same way coz I learned listening to Ed all these years lol.

I used to gig with a tube amp (Laney VH100R) but recently moved to modelling for reasons other than tone (portability, weight, ease of transport, flexibility, etc).
I am finding the tone not up to par so far, mainly because of the fizz or harsh highs in live use that I can feel all the way to my skull... (I am using a Matrix power amp and FRFR cab for amplification btw)
Various types of eq's, etc just don't seem to fix it for loud stage volume during live use (granted i don't have golden ears, and am not a studio engineer, so I am not an expert with para eq's and such...)

But after reading your post, I think you hit the nail on the head as to the reason why -- when you said "at high master volume settings that sizzle gets clipped away by the power amp rails" i had a eureka moment of sorts (sorry if I am late to the party on this one) --
It seems that the modelling rig just DOES NOT get the fizz 'clipped away by the power amp rails'... instead they are all still there when you turn up so it sounds very harsh.

I am wondering what you think about using your DeFizzerator with digital modelers to tame the fizz that is SO hard to dial out?
(I am using an Atomic Amplifire btw and am going for rock/hard rock/heavy tones in the Marshall camp)
*Too late* - I already ordered one! But still would love to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks,
Erik

amptweaker

I've just ordered my Defizzerator, question for you James if you're not busy with NAMM! If I patch this in after both my brp and big muff, as opposed to in the loop of the brp, will it have any effect on my clean tone? Thanks

If you put it after those pedals, when you turn them off it'll roll off a ton of highs because it's made for being driven from low impedances.....unless you have some other buffer at the front, like a non-true bypass WAH or some kind of buffer pedal, then you'll be ok. In that case, it'll knock the same edge off as when the dirt pedals are on, although it won't be nearly as noticeable how it affects the clean as it is how it affects dirt. Kind of like how a bright speaker sounds normal for clean, and harsh for dirt, since there are now tons of higher harmonics to hear coming through it.

James

amptweaker

@amptweaker Thanks for sharing that James, awesome info.
Yes I have the same experience with good tube amps and I use them the same way coz I learned listening to Ed all these years lol.

I used to gig with a tube amp (Laney VH100R) but recently moved to modelling for reasons other than tone (portability, weight, ease of transport, flexibility, etc).
I am finding the tone not up to par so far, mainly because of the fizz or harsh highs in live use that I can feel all the way to my skull... (I am using a Matrix power amp and FRFR cab for amplification btw)
Various types of eq's, etc just don't seem to fix it for loud stage volume during live use (granted i don't have golden ears, and am not a studio engineer, so I am not an expert with para eq's and such...)

But after reading your post, I think you hit the nail on the head as to the reason why -- when you said "at high master volume settings that sizzle gets clipped away by the power amp rails" i had a eureka moment of sorts (sorry if I am late to the party on this one) --
It seems that the modelling rig just DOES NOT get the fizz 'clipped away by the power amp rails'... instead they are all still there when you turn up so it sounds very harsh.

I am wondering what you think about using your DeFizzerator with digital modelers to tame the fizz that is SO hard to dial out?
(I am using an Atomic Amplifire btw and am going for rock/hard rock/heavy tones in the Marshall camp)
*Too late* - I already ordered one! But still would love to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks,
Erik

Sure, it would definitely help, although it's not clipping them away, just reducing them as an EQ would. I've just made it simple so you don't have to know all that EQ stuff like whether it should be shelving or a low pass filter. So I'm sure it would help smooth out the harshness of the digital stuff.

James

Benny Jones

If you put it after those pedals, when you turn them off it'll roll off a ton of highs because it's made for being driven from low impedances.....unless you have some other buffer at the front, like a non-true bypass WAH or some kind of buffer pedal, then you'll be ok. In that case, it'll knock the same edge off as when the dirt pedals are on, although it won't be nearly as noticeable how it affects the clean as it is how it affects dirt. Kind of like how a bright speaker sounds normal for clean, and harsh for dirt, since there are now tons of higher harmonics to hear coming through it.

James
Great thanks James. My amp is actually very bright so this may be what I'm after! Can't wait for it to arrive, good luck with NAMM and the new compressor, looking forward to some demos

Top Bottom