• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

New (Another) Gary Clark Jr. Signature SG - WOW!

cvansickle

Gold Supporting Member
New email today from The Music Zoo...

I'm not a huge fan of his, although I do enjoy Gary Clark Jr.'s music. But this guitar, THIS one, looks like a winner to me. Only eye raiser with me would be the 24 frets, but I never play up that high anyway!

Specs:

• Vintage Cherry Finish
  • Mahogany Body
  • Slim Taper Profile Mahogany Neck
  • Rosewood Fingerboard
  • Mother of Pearl Trapezoid Inlays
  • 24 3/4" Scale Length
  • 12" Radius
  • 24 Frets
  • 1.695" Width Tektoid Nut
  • Gibson P-90 Pickups
  • Handwired Electronics w/ Orange Drop Capacitors
  • ABR Bridge
  • Aluminum Stoptail
  • Locking Grover Tuners
  • Nickel Hardware

jlectka

Silver Supporting Member
I sooooo want to like it. There’s been five or six times I’ve decided I wanted an SG until I went out and played one. I can never seem to find a good example that plays well or doesn’t have issues. That might make me give Gibson another try.

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
That's hot. The problem is, I too have never owned an SG that would ever stay in tune. George Gruhn once commented in Vintage Guitar that the SG is not a stable platform guitar, due to it's construction and design. It set off a bit of a sh**storm of controversy, but I believe he was right.

I work with a guitarist who has a great '90s SG Standard that stays in tune almost perfectly with minor tweaks all night, but I think he got lucky.

What does that Gary Clark SG street for?

cvansickle

Gold Supporting Member
That's hot. The problem is, I too have never owned an SG that would ever stay in tune. George Gruhn once commented in Vintage Guitar that the SG is not a stable platform guitar, due to it's construction and design. It set off a bit of a sh**storm of controversy, but I believe he was right.

I work with a guitarist who has a great '90s SG Standard that stays in tune almost perfectly with minor tweaks all night, but I think he got lucky.

$1,499 on The Music Zoo site, which I think is more than affordable for these features on a siggie model.

I had two other SGs, a Standard and a Classic, both from the 2000s, that i never bonded with. Now I have a 2017 Standard T and it's one of my best guitars. No tuning issues, not even neck dive.

John C

Gold Supporting Member
Interesting about the 24-frets, but I do like this one in the red. At the current moment half the SGs have 24 frets (the Clark sig, the Special, and the Standard HP) and half have the traditional 22-fret necks (Faded, limited-run Jr., and the "regular" Standard).

DrumBob

$1,499 on The Music Zoo site, which I think is more than affordable for these features on a siggie model.

I had two other SGs, a Standard and a Classic, both from the 2000s, that i never bonded with. Now I have a 2017 Standard T and it's one of my best guitars. No tuning issues, not even neck dive.
Thanks for the info. I have probably owned seven or eight SGs over the years, and none of them have ever played well or stayed in tune, so I've pretty much given up on them. I still hope to find a great one.

Noise Under The Floor

As someone who learned to play using an SG, and has played a LOT of them over the years, I'd have to agree with Gruhn. As much as I love SG's, they can be a pain in the ass guitars for sure. Here's another sh**storm statement I can add: Norlin era SG's have always been my favorites. They tend to have a little more heft to them and dare I say, tend to have better tuning stability. I actually think the "harmonica" bridge is a better design and adds to the to tuning stability and sustain. I like the narrow necks and low/wide frets everyone else seems to hate about them. Some the absolute worst SG's I've ever played have been models/years that are the most desirable, including some VOS reissues. :hide

That Gary Clark Jr model in cherry is SO bad ass though...and I'll probably end up with one :rolleyes:

DrumBob

I've owned several vintage 60's SGs as well as newer ones, and none of them would ever stay in tune, no matter what was done to them. I want to love them, but they just don't seem to work for me. I wish I could find a great one like my band mate has.

2HBStrat

.....George Gruhn once commented in Vintage Guitar that the SG is not a stable platform guitar, due to it's construction and design......
Yeah....the SG "platform" has only been around since 1961....it's too bad it has been so unsuccessful for Gibson....

That's sweet. Lose that middle pup and I would be all over it.
That would be the SG Special. I think they're still around. .

Trending Topics