• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

New (Another) Gary Clark Jr. Signature SG - WOW!

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
Just beware switching positions:

Neck/Middle
All three
Middle/Bridge

I would not like to have to turn the proper volume down if that is how it only gets the neck or bridge by itself...

Especially the neck position...
That’s a bizarre config. Surprising they didn’t use push/pulls

RolandKorg

Supporting Member
You converted a 3 pickup guitar into a 3 pickup guitar and think a 3 pickup guitar has too many pickups?
Yeah.
3 humbuckers or P90s is more surface area than 3 single coils or 2 single coils and a humbucker.
3 is "too many" if they're of s certain type/size. That wasn't apparent in the explanation?

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
That's hot. The problem is, I too have never owned an SG that would ever stay in tune. George Gruhn once commented in Vintage Guitar that the SG is not a stable platform guitar, due to it's construction and design. It set off a bit of a sh**storm of controversy, but I believe he was right.

I work with a guitarist who has a great '90s SG Standard that stays in tune almost perfectly with minor tweaks all night, but I think he got lucky.

What does that Gary Clark SG street for?
Mr Gruhn is right... they don’t stay in tune, and the body is to small for that long neck... a 24 fret version would be even worse...I’ve owned 4 of them over the years.. I gave up.. I like the high end tones of LPs better anyway because of the maple top.

Matt L

I've owned (I think) 6 SGs, and only a couple were a bit flighty with tuning. SOME of them are not stable, but not every single one.

They also can get a certain nasty upper-midrange aggression that I haven't heard from a Les Paul.

pedalparty

That's hot. The problem is, I too have never owned an SG that would ever stay in tune. George Gruhn once commented in Vintage Guitar that the SG is not a stable platform guitar, due to it's construction and design. It set off a bit of a sh**storm of controversy, but I believe he was right.

I work with a guitarist who has a great '90s SG Standard that stays in tune almost perfectly with minor tweaks all night, but I think he got lucky.

What does that Gary Clark SG street for?
In my experience, the 61 box neck joint is terrible. Often cracks, can cause tuning problems, and is susceptible to being bent sharp with even light pressure on the body while playing a chord. The later neck joint, that has been used on the batwing guard stuff most commonly, is actually pretty good.

Sun Creature

Nice looking guitar but weird pickup selection.

To those who say the SG doesn't stay in tune. I have found a proper nut job, or new nut, seemed to cure all my problems. With my SG Classic, you have to be extremely aggressive to get it to go out of tune.

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
In my experience, the 61 box neck joint is terrible. Often cracks, can cause tuning problems, and is susceptible to being bent sharp with even light pressure on the body while playing a chord. The later neck joint, that has been used on the batwing guard stuff most commonly, is actually pretty good.
My band mate with the great SG has one with the large guard. Maybe that's why it stays in tune so well.

GiorgioV

The neck joint is the same, the two extra frets are where the filler piece usually is between neck and pickup.
Yes I don't get why some people complain. Would you rather have a piece of plastic than two extra frets???

Not to forget, probably the extra glue of the longer fretboard makes the joint slightly more stable too.

chumbucket

Silver Supporting Member
I definitely prefer this to the Gary Clark model. Still needs to lose the neck binding though.
I dig the neck binding but I sorta wish that it had the trap inlays too.
And while we're b*tching about Gibson SG's, how come Gibson can't make a small pickguard SG with a thicker neck? Batwings get thick necks and small guards get slim taper. I don't get it? That would solve a lot of the tuning/stability issues.

Trending Topics