• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

New (Another) Gary Clark Jr. Signature SG - WOW!

Ape Factory

A thread started in March of this year doesn't count as a necro thread. Has to be AT LEAST 3 years old and is historically irrelevant. THAT'S Necro.

GCJR still has SG's although I just saw him a few weeks back and 99% of the time, he played a Yamaha Pacifica. Even turned away the 3 P90 SG at one point after an issue with the Yamaha (broken string?). Was really surprised as I saw a private show the year prior and he just rocked that 3 P90 SG. It was an animal.

COYS

GCJR on Yamaha now? Interesting

I’ve also never been picky about a neck. I’ve honestly never handled a guitar I thought was unplayable because of the neck. I have no health issues with my fretting hand so maybe others do. I’d like to think someone can hand me almost any neck shape and I’d be able to play without discomfort.
Me either... I think about the neck for the amount of time between me picking up the guitar and when I start playing.

Sometimes I notice a neck being great, like the fender elite tele's neck that I have, but otherwise I just don't notice it. I've had baseball bat teles, and just about everything else.

Buck Woodson

Silver Supporting Member
Just beware switching positions:

Neck/Middle
All three
Middle/Bridge

I would not like to have to turn the proper volume down if that is how it only gets the neck or bridge by itself...

Especially the neck position...
This answers the question I was about to ask, thank you. If you think about it there is no other way to get all pickup combinations with a 3 position pickup selector switch. Also it kills the hum!

I just recieved my cherry GCJr. SG with 3P90's from AMS yesterday, haven't played it much but all my concerns melted away.

• Neck dive no issue with a strap with a rough leather bottom.
  • 3 pickups is not a strumming issue for me.
  • Pickups don't sound too much like standard single coils.
  • Tone/volume knobs are not accidently switched as some earlier ones.
  • I like thin necks but I had a false perception that SG necks get too wide where they join the body compared to a Les Paul. It is just that the SG neck joins the body farther down the neck than the Les Paul.
  • I didn't already have a cherry SG. I thought about getting a used older yellow one but I think I'd get tired of it after the novelty wore off.
  • Tuning issues seem about the same as all Gibsons to me. They can all go out of tune fairly easily. To a point I kind of like the slight detuning. It fattens it up nicely.

Last edited:

TheOtherDave

I sooooo want to like it. There’s been five or six times I’ve decided I wanted an SG until I went out and played one. I can never seem to find a good example that plays well or doesn’t have issues. That might make me give Gibson another try.
SGs were always on my "eh, maybe some day when I have more money than sense" list, until I happened across a 2018 SG Special at Guitar Center a couple months ago. It stuck out because there was this satin, naturally-colored chunk of wood in a sea of shiny deeply-stained guitars. I wanted to kill a few minutes while I was thinking about something and picked it up simply because it wasn't shiny. Dunno if the neck was out of spec and they shipped it anyway or what, but it didn't feel like any other SG I'd played (even though AFAICT they all claim to have the same "Slim Taper" neck profile), and I loved it. Even better, it was on clearance, so... yeah... I went to GC to find a small studio monitor control thingy with a Toslink input, and instead I bought a guitar that wasn't even on my "to get" list.

Oh! Crap, I forgot about the monitor control thingy! Hmm, oh well.

Anyway, if you're still looking for an SG that you like playing and don't mind having mini-humbuckers instead of regular humbuckers, it might be worth checking out. I think they're on sale at both Guitar Center and Musician's Friend at the moment. I'm tempted to get another and replace the mini-humbuckers with P-90s, but that'll have to wait until my wallet recovers (and TBH, probably for a screaming deal on a used one so that I don't feel like I'm paying more than it's worth by the time I also get the pickups).

T92780

Gold Supporting Member
Incoming and wanted to know if I decide to put Lollar P90 in this guitar, is it a seamless install, like swapping Strat single coils? Appreciate your response.

Thanks.

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Incoming and wanted to know if I decide to put Lollar P90 in this guitar, is it a seamless install, like swapping Strat single coils? Appreciate your response.

Thanks.
Personally I like Gibson P-90’s better than Lollars.. they are to polite sounding, but maybe that’s what you’re looking for

T92780

Gold Supporting Member
Personally I like Gibson P-90’s better than Lollars.. they are to polite sounding, but maybe that’s what you’re looking for
Wondering if these P90S that Gibson used, which I heard are more single coil like is a seamless swap if I want to put Lollars in.

Bluewail

Tone curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
Wondering if these P90S that Gibson used, which I heard are more single coil like is a seamless swap if I want to put Lollars in.
I had one and swapped in Lollar Alnico slug P90’s. Honestly I love Lollar pickups but in this case it was money wasted as they were very close to the Gibsons. Perhaps a bit fuller but pretty darn close

T92780

Gold Supporting Member
I had one and swapped in Lollar Alnico slug P90’s. Honestly I love Lollar pickups but in this case it was money wasted as they were very close to the Gibsons. Perhaps a bit fuller but pretty darn close
Thank you....

Trending Topics